Old DSC Security System - DIY upgrade?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am living in the UK

I am looking to do basically the same and install a DSC 1864 in place of and old system and use the existing wired sensors.

In researching if have come across a few things that are causing confusion that you may be able to help resolve.

Ebay seems to have a cheap WS4975W sensors that I would like to install on all the windows on my house as they are not wired.

But I am seeing issues that new keypads are only compatible with new EZ encrypted sensors, is this true?

If I get a RFK5564 or RFK5500 can I use it with the WS4975W?

I know I need a V4.6 motherboard to get 64 wireless zones, but if I get a V4.5 I know I can only have 32 zones, but does it give me any other issues.
I know honeywell sells some very different products in the UK than in the US. Could be differences in DSCs lineup too.

AFIK only the new NEO panels are encrypted.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@tangent Just looping back for an update... took me awhile... just life stuff... but I have replaced the old system with the PC1864 without issue. Split some things that were all in one zone out to multiple zones for more granularity of knowing what door/window was opened, etc.
Hooked up the evl-4, and about to get setup with using a dual-path BAT LTE (ethernet/internet, and LTE communication) to alarmrelay.com

While I also did download the software you suggested, I found programming the system was just fine once I viewed a youtube video or two. I have two wired keypads (one for wireless monitors), and am about to add my first wireless devices... mostly glass break detectors, but also going to try out a water sensor and tie it into my smartthings automation.

Thank you again for all your help and guidance here. Much appreciated, and I'm looking forward to wrapping up this DIY upgrade that the integrator wanted 1000's to do and wanted to steer me to a $50/month plan. :-/

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Revius, your contract with alarmrelay.com ($8.95/m) includes the activation fee for the LTE, or you pay extra for the cell usage? Besides my Envisa connected to the Web, I prefer the cell back-up as well, using the BAT-LTE. I heard horrible stories of thief's cutting cables

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Revius, your contract with alarmrelay.com ($8.95/m) includes the activation fee for the LTE, or you pay extra for the cell usage? Besides my Envisa connected to the Web, I prefer the cell back-up as well, using the BAT-LTE. I heard horrible stories of thief's cutting cables
I think Alarm Relay's cellular monitoring is closer to $15/mo

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
not bad, considering the average of $39/mo in my Country

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes, is covered at $19.95/mo plus $60 inital setup. Thanks tangent

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had the DSC PC155MX and DSC RF5501-433 Wireless keypad to add zones for about 15 years. I added the EVL-4 about 4 years ago and started using their $8.50 month UL monitoring a year ago. The whole system has been rock solid. If you are comfortable with internet based only monitoring it is a good way to go. US and Canada only. For me, I got tired of paying for landline just for monitoring and have very had very little downtime with our internet provider. Thieves are too lazy to cut cables here, they know it takes 5-10 minutes for police to arrive.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but ended up with a BAT LTE, so it has wireless (LTE) and internet connections to AlarmRelay.com... no landline.
I do however pay $20/month, but piece of mind that I don't have to worry about Comcast's spotty service. They aren't horrible... but I do notice interruptions.

LRSpartan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been searching around for help with upgrading my DSC 1555mx, and found this thread. Lots of great info, and I have since purchased an EVL-4. All of this is very new to me. I consider myself a DIY, but yeah, this is all very new. I have never upgraded an alarm system.

So, I believe I have the basic understanding of how the EVL connects to the control panel, but I want to make sure. For my current system I have one keypad and then sensors. I believe I need to wire the EVL to the same 'connection points' on the control panel where the wired keypad is. Is this correct? Below are pictures of my system. I appreciate your help!

Also, bonus help if you have the time. I need to replace the backup battery to my system. I purchased the battery. So I assume I need to cut power to the entire system, and just do the replacement. The battery going bad made me start looking for other ways to do DIY repairs / upgrades on it.IMG_7550.JPG

IMG_7514.JPG

John

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, I believe I have the basic understanding of how the EVL connects to the control panel, but I want to make sure. For my current system I have one keypad and then sensors. I believe I need to wire the EVL to the same 'connection points' on the control panel where the wired keypad is. Is this correct? Below are pictures of my system. I appreciate your help!
Correct. The EVL (assuming it's an EVL4) has a header for four wires coming off the board. You simply get your wire and attach to YEL, GRN, Ground (Common), and RED

Also, bonus help if you have the time. I need to replace the backup battery to my system. I purchased the battery. So I assume I need to cut power to the entire system, and just do the replacement. The battery going bad made me start looking for other ways to do DIY repairs / upgrades on it.
Correct as well. Replacing the battery is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to cut the AC power first. In case your leads are corroded, you may want to clean them a bit and apply some anti corrosive grease to the battery terminals.

LRSpartan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the help! I will report back in a day or two. Good idea on cleaning the leads!

Correct. The EVL (assuming it's an EVL4) has a header for four wires coming off the board. You simply get your wire and attach to YEL, GRN, Ground (Common), and RED

Correct as well. Replacing the battery is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to cut the AC power first. In case your leads are corroded, you may want to clean them a bit and apply some anti corrosive grease to the battery terminals.

LRSpartan

n3wb
Reaction score
I got the EVL connected to my control panel without any issue. Definitely nice to have and easier to install than I thought it would be. I also replaced the backup battery in the control panel. One issue that I have is I do not know the master code for the panel. We bought the house a few years ago, and we know the previous owner well. He said he never knew there was such a code. It appears that I can factory reset the panel. Are there any issues that I should be aware of before doing this? My next project will be installing home assistant.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got the EVL connected to my control panel without any issue. Definitely nice to have and easier to install than I thought it would be. I also replaced the backup battery in the control panel. One issue that I have is I do not know the master code for the panel. We bought the house a few years ago, and we know the previous owner well. He said he never knew there was such a code. It appears that I can factory reset the panel. Are there any issues that I should be aware of before doing this? My next project will be installing home assistant.
Did you try the default code it comes with from the factory?