Old Man but a New Guy here.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
Hello all, I am in Central Calif, and I own a house on the corner, so i see alot of crap happening especially since our so called great city of Oakdale is going to crap.
About 2 years ago we had some kids doing donuts in the road and everytime we would run out they were gone, then they hit my jeep, but nobody saw the plate, they saw the kids after the impact and they backed up and drove off.
I bought a old Q-see 4 cam setup many years ago from Costco, and had just one cam setup and it blew every single power plug one after the other, and sadly back then I didnt know much about costcos we take it anytime return policy.
I am now in the market for a good setup, I have been looking at the Lorex,, but i keep hearing about how its just a Dahua system, and ya can get them cheaper off aliexpress, I am also looking at Hikvision, since a local guy in Sacramento has a youtube page showing the security on his corner, he uses a hikvision 1.5mp ptz dome and after checking Amazon it goes for 1300 (WOW) DS-2DF7276-AEL-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. is his camera
Anyway enough with the rambling, I am looking for good advice on a setup that is gonna be a 16ch nvr, so I have room for expansion. I will add a ptz dome later since we got scumbags that live about 3 houses down across the street from my corner. So far they had a drive by done on them because they burglarized a home and pissed off the owner, and their neighbors are wannabe nortenos,
SO if anyone has great advice and can point me int he direction then I am all set to start looking, jst worried about the latest DAHUA HACK that has been going around.
I read here someone mentions a good seller on aliexpress also, so i checked him out some earlier.
thanx again, and once its setup I will gladly share any good videos.

PapaBill aka THE PISSED OFF PAPA

Or ya can call me BILL.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bill.

Don't let your cameras have internet access, and you don't have to worry about hacks. The same goes for the NVR if it is a typical hardware-based NVR like from Dahua or Hikvision. You can set up a VPN server (preferably in your router) for secure remote access.

There's no reason to buy that $1300 PTZ. You can get good ones for $350 or so. Aliexpress.com : Buy New Arrival 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera SD49225T HN ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Bill.

Don't let your cameras have internet access, and you don't have to worry about hacks. The same goes for the NVR if it is a typical hardware-based NVR like from Dahua or Hikvision. You can set up a VPN server (preferably in your router) for secure remote access.

There's no reason to buy that $1300 PTZ. You can get good ones for $350 or so. Aliexpress.com : Buy New Arrival 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera SD49225T HN ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Quick question and I’m not trying to hijack this post,and this is strictly out of curiosity,but if you have all your cameras on a separate VLAN would it be safe to port forward ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not safe. The cameras will still get hacked that way, and best case scenario is someone changes the password or resets them to defaults or just spies on you. Worst case, they brick your cameras or turn them into minions for their botnet.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Bill.

Wait a sec, I just googled this and watched a video, is this the SAME STARLIGHT TECH, like we used in the military, No IR, just amplifying the night light and stars?
If so then i am SOOOOO getting one of these, our street corner, just had the old street light replaced with new LED tech and its super bright, and I wanted to keep a eye on the scumbags that like across the street from me on the next block.
thank you for the reply, it was very helpful also, gonna look into my router about setting one up now. Using a Linksys E3000 if it cant do it then will buy a newer one.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never used real light amplification night vision tech before so I can't really say how it compares. It is not the same imaging sensors, thats for sure. These are just regular security camera sensors that happen to be designed for better low light performance than most.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never used real light amplification night vision tech before so I can't really say how it compares. It is not the same imaging sensors, thats for sure. These are just regular security camera sensors that happen to be designed for better low light performance than most.
After watching the video, it is actually much better than when i used Low light NVG's in the army, because they were all glowing green sorta like you were looking through a green liquid, the camera demos i saw on youtube were really nice.
thanx for the headsup, got it linked now.