Olden day Pictures

This triggered a memory for me, I wonder if this still happens for any children?

View attachment 199170
Oh, boy.....once I caught my ex-wife licking those while still inserted in our old Sunbeam handheld mixer and it was still plugged in!
I'm glad to this day I stopped her and it was all OK but looking back, the last 10 years of our marriage might have been more tolerable if I had just left her alone.....:idk:

My Grandmother Anna Volk and her brothers in Germany. ( Oberwidttstadt date unknown.) she was born in 1907, so probably after WWI...she was here for WWII.
They had sold the house and bought ships passage back to Germany, and 1 week later, Hitler invaded Poland.
So they reversed course and stayed here. The guy driving the wagon is Otto, he is buried in Russia, he was captured/surrendered in Russia and died post WWII in a prison camp.
The other guy my Great Uncle Peter, died the last week of WWII surrendering to the Americans, being shot by his own officer. What a World....
a 3rd brother Valdeen, was released from a POW camp in France after the war. One day as Anna was working in the fields, he came walking up the road. She thought they had all died...
one survived.

IMG_8145_Original.JPG

Last edited:
A family member who fought for the Union.

1721609673474.png

My grandfather (at the top) and his brother-in-law building a quonset hut that was going to be used as a lodge on my great grandfather's farm. Trees were felled by hand saws then pulled out of the forest with a team of horses. The trees were milled using a tractor PTO driven mill. Every rock pulled out of the field by hand and in some cases, to make smaller rocks, large boulders had a stick of dynamite stuck into a hole that was made with a hand drill. Even the sand for the mortar came from a vein of sand running through the farm left from the days of the glaciers. They did buy nails and portland cemet. Looking at this makes me realize how soft we've become.

1721611536757.png

1721611594943.png

Last edited:
Lord, drove my mom's 64 Galaxie 500 down that beach in '65, the Stones' "Under my Thumb" blaring on the radio. Four years later in '69 repeated that performance in my '69 Torino CobraJet 428, 2 days before going to boot camp. That time I think it was "Green River" by CCR.

Man, that seems like a long time ago....lots of water has passed under my bridge since then. I am truly blessed to be here, to be able to see this picture and to be able to remember...well, most of it anyway. :cool:

Lord, drove my mom's 64 Galaxie 500 down that beach in '65, the Stones' "Under my Thumb" blaring on the radio. Four years later in '69 repeated that performance in my '69 Torino CobraJet 428, 2 days before going to boot camp. That time I think it was "Green River" by CCR.

Man, that seems like a long time ago....lots of water has passed under my bridge since then. I am truly blessed to be here, to be able to see this picture and to be able to remember...well, most of it anyway. :cool:

Dang, you're old. :)

Dang, you're old. :)
So old I likely got the '65 song wrong, "Under My Thumb" wasn't released until '66 but so it was more likely it was "(I can't get no) Satisfaction"....I was a BIG Stones fan then. :headbang:

C'mon and cut me slack, that was 59 years ago.....might as well have been 100.:lmao:

So old I likely got the '65 song wrong, "Under My Thumb" wasn't released until '66 but so it was more likely it was "(I can't get no) Satisfaction"....I was a BIG Stones fan then. :headbang:

C'mon and cut me slack, that was 59 years ago.....might as well have been 100.:lmao:

Hey, I think I am only a couple years behind you. :headbang:

Man what a golden age for music! Me and my buddies would drive around listening to music, knew every song and group - the music is what I remember the most from that time. We could go to concerts that were easily affordable. When I was in high school I worked at a grocery store and every week when I got paid I would go buy another album.

Man, that seems like a long time ago....lots of water has passed under my bridge since then. I am truly blessed to be here, to be able to see this picture and to be able to remember...well, most of it anyway.

I'm glad you enjoyed the picture and I'm very happy you are still around and in this forum.