Older Axis Equipment

IP001

n3wb
Reaction score
I've come upon a bunch of axis 216FD dome cameras for pretty cheap. Went to update the firmware and got it to the latest version that was supported at the time. Axis has since moved on and stopped supporting that model series with additional firmware updates (at least that's what I gather). It's not the greatest quality camera, but it gets the job done for a starter system.

My question, would it be okay to use these cameras on a home network? (My cameras report back to a dedicated desktop running BI and a Synology NAS). I don't have anything set up to monitor the cameras outside of the home netowrk i.e. I can't monitor from my phone when I'm away. I would assume if they never touch the internet, I'm probably pretty safe.

Can anyone tell me if I'm at risk?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've come upon a bunch of axis 216FD dome cameras for pretty cheap. Went to update the firmware and got it to the latest version that was supported at the time. Axis has since moved on and stopped supporting that model series with additional firmware updates (at least that's what I gather). It's not the greatest quality camera, but it gets the job done for a starter system.

My question, would it be okay to use these cameras on a home network? (My cameras report back to a dedicated desktop running BI and a Synology NAS). I don't have anything set up to monitor the cameras outside of the home netowrk i.e. I can't monitor from my phone when I'm away. I would assume if they never touch the internet, I'm probably pretty safe.

Can anyone tell me if I'm at risk?
These are vga cameras that dont support h.264. They are not worth messing with even if free. It would be safe if they are not exposed to the net as in your example.

IP001

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, they are more for situational awareness. I've got a lot of areas to cover, more than 8 points of entry on my residence. So they're good enough to capture basic movement, but are no where near 1080 quality during the day time. I have no real interest in opening up any ports to watch from afar, as I typically have someone here 24/7 and I have renters on the other part of the land that can see any deviations from the norm when we are out of town.

I'm really interested in Dahau, as it seems to be more affordable and capable. Not that I don't like Axis, I absolutely do, but I can't afford their new stuff at all. I've used Hikvision before, but I'm deathly affraid of loop holes in their systems. I can never seem to stay on top of which model is secure and which have giant gaping back doors for anyone to come in and compromise the network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, they are more for situational awareness. I've got a lot of areas to cover, more than 8 points of entry on my residence. So they're good enough to capture basic movement, but are no where near 1080 quality during the day time. I have no real interest in opening up any ports to watch from afar, as I typically have someone here 24/7 and I have renters on the other part of the land that can see any deviations from the norm when we are out of town.

I'm really interested in Dahau, as it seems to be more affordable and capable. Not that I don't like Axis, I absolutely do, but I can't afford their new stuff at all. I've used Hikvision before, but I'm deathly affraid of loop holes in their systems. I can never seem to stay on top of which model is secure and which have giant gaping back doors for anyone to come in and compromise the network.
Dahua is no more secure than Hikvision... Axis has been expoilted as well, but not as severely... regardless if you don't expose them to the net they are all the same...

IP001

n3wb
Reaction score
If I were to ever want to explore the possibility of upgrading, is there any particular brand that anyone would recommend regarding ease of "securing" the camera?

I had foscam for a day and then realized it was an impulse purchase with little research = they had gaping holes in their back end.
I've got some simple D Link 932L's laying around that I used as baby monitors.
Then I was given these Axis dome cameras. Again, I'm not thrilled with the quality of the video.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to ever want to explore the possibility of upgrading, is there any particular brand that anyone would recommend regarding ease of "securing" the camera?

I had foscam for a day and then realized it was an impulse purchase with little research = they had gaping holes in their back end.
I've got some simple D Link 932L's laying around that I used as baby monitors.
Then I was given these Axis dome cameras. Again, I'm not thrilled with the quality of the video.
Read my post again...you simply don't expose any camera to the internet.