Older PC for running Blue iris.....

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm building up a new security camera system upgrading from my old Lorex consumer grade system. I have so far ordered three of the 4K T's with the built in LED's for each of my three entry doors on the house. I also purchased a 16 port Netgear PoE+ switch. I'm planning on a total of eight cameras but I haven't decided on the other five yet. So I'm not sure yet if all cameras will be 8MP......I doubt it. I want to run Blue Iris this time around instead of an NVR. My current Lorex NVR is a clunky experience if you do anything beyond just looking at the camera views. I have an older gaming PC that I could use for Blue Iris but I'm not really sure how well it will work with multiple 8MP cameras. The CPU is an Intel i5-4440 and has 16GB of RAM. It was a great gaming rig back in it's prime but it's definitely dated.

What are your thoughts on this PC? I have no issues with waiting to find a more robust PC to use but I thought since I had this one already.............................

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is fine. People are running 50 cameras with 4th gen no problem. Since you have it laying around give it a try

Follow every optimization in the wiki. Substreams are a must.

Hardware Acceleration is no longer needed now with substreams and can actually make the CPU% go up using it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4k cams take some horse power to process.
At this point all you can do is try what you have, but I'll lay odds you will want something more robust.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could neuter the thing by putting in a different graphics card.
You don't need a graphics card unless you plan to do some heavy duty CodeProject AI.

But the camera AI is probably more than enough.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don't need a graphics card unless you plan to do some heavy duty CodeProject AI.

But the camera AI is probably more than enough.
Well if I pulled that graphics card out then power consumption would go way down. The graphics card probably uses alot of power just sitting there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well if I pulled that graphics card out then power consumption would go way down. The graphics card probably uses alot of power just sitting there.
Exactly! A GPU was needed prior to substreams for older computers, but now it is just a power hog not needed.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Exactly! A GPU was needed prior to substreams for older computers, but now it is just a power hog not needed.
The mother board has onboard graphics if I ever needed it.

bluebat

n3wb
Reaction score
Doesn't webcasting take up a lot of CPU? Doesn't the GPU help with transcoding if you're casting it via UI3?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't webcasting take up a lot of CPU? Doesn't the GPU help with transcoding if you're casting it via UI3?
CPU goes up a few %, but not more than the cost of powering the GPU or the CPU% it takes to offload the video to the GPU.

And if you are doing direct to wire to UI3, then it is minimal.

Here was a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration as I suggested and his CPU dropped 10-15%

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could probably ditch a few of the case fans as well to reduce fan noise.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok I took out the DVD drive, and the two WD storage drives that were in there. I did a clean install of windows 10 on a Kingston Hyper X Fury 480 Gig SSD that was in there. Need to grab a purple drive next.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
4k cams take some horse power to process.
At this point all you can do is try what you have, but I'll lay odds you will want something more robust.
I can always upgrade the CPU to an i7 for $125.00. They have a renewed CPU for $99.00. I'd rather do that because I built this system and I know it has quality parts in it.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.