Oldest videos (~5-6hr) are being deleted?

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got Blue Iris running on a PC on our production floor while I trial the system at the same time that we use the footage to troubleshoot equipment issues. The camera, FWIW, is a Dahua N43AF5Z. I have two questions:

1) Twice in the last week I set up the camera in the morning, checked on it several times throughout the day, and when I checked some hours later (maybe 6 or so hours), the first one or two files/clips that were recorded (and I verified when set up and checked) were gone. The second time this happened I actually watched the oldest clip in the clip window and its .bvr file in "Stored" disappear in front of my eyes.

Here's what I've looked at, set up, tried:

1. Continuous Recording is on
  2. There is no recording schedule nor triggering enabled that I am aware of
  3. Video file size is set to a 10Gb limit, but none of the files that are being recorded are surpassing 4Gb (due to the combine/cut setting set at 8hrs or 4Gb)
    1. There is plenty of room left on the hard drive at the time the clips disappear, a few hundred Gb at least.
  4. Files are being saved to New and moved to Stored after a time. The missing files were not in these locations.
  5. Based on other threads with similar reports, I've Repaired/Regenerated the database, manually by right-clicking in the clip pane. No missing clips resurfaced after this action (though I couldn't tell that BI was doing anything after I acknowledged the process to begin), and the issue persists after this.
  6. It's not the newest version of BI, but it is pretty recent (end of 2023)

2) In a related note, I have a 10Tb RAID array set up on this machine as the D: drive. How do I select a folder in this drive as the location to move clips from after they leave "New"? In the drop-down menu on the Storage settings, the only option is "Stored", and I can't seem to be able to point it elsewhere.

Can anyone assist with these issues? Any tips on whats might be happening?
Thank you!
-PS

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, I recommend setting up as stated here by @SouthernYankee :

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10GB is rather small and you are probably seeing them disappear as it follows what is set up in clips and archiving.

The 8 hours/ 4GB is a which comes first so it could hit 4GB in an hour if you are only recording mainstream depending on how you set up the camera in terms of resolution, FPS, and bitrate. So in 2.5 hours, the oldest file is gone.

Post screenshots showing how you have the recording set up for NEW, STORED, ETC.

Reaction score
10GB is rather small and you are probably seeing them disappear as it follows what is set up in clips and archiving.

The 8 hours/ 4GB is a which comes first so it could hit 4GB in an hour if you are only recording mainstream depending on how you set up the camera in terms of resolution, FPS, and bitrate. So in 2.5 hours, the oldest file is gone.

Post screenshots showing how you have the recording set up for NEW, STORED, ETC.
Screenshots of the Storage and Record tabs in Settings are attached. Hopefully this encompasses what you request.

Re: the 10Gb being too small ... what is the "Limit size: 10Gb" setting actually doing, if it's not governing how big of a video file it is making?

And TonyR, thank you for the lead, I'll work to institute as many of those as I can.

Thanks,
-PS

Attachments

Reaction score
Ok, I think I'm understanding this now. I've set up Aux1 as the WD Purple 10Tb HDD with 5000Gb as the space limit with no time limit. Clips will land in New first, on the SSD, but will move to Aux1 when it reaches clip size of 1hr and cuts them.

Not sure if I have it fully set up with Best Practices yet, but I'm closing in on it.

Thanks all,
-PS

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By setting 10Gb you are telling BI to only use 10GB of the available hard drive space, thus its doing exactly what have it setup to do.
All explained in the Bi built-in help file.
If it's a 4TB drive for example, then you should have 3390GB set instead of 10GB.
Calculate the total space on your drive, then deduct 10% of that, Enter that total.