On a 1/1.8" Sensor, 2MP or 4MP

aadje93

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So i'm looking into some "higher end" Hik cams, in the 5 series, all sensors are 1/1.8" but they are available in 2, 4 and 8MP. I allready have the 8mp 1/1.2" colorvu turret, and those are pretty great if there is some artificial light. But now for some "no lights" places i'm looking into higher end IR models. The colorvu is great for day. But its a horse stable where the leds are kind of a problem during the night so i'm looking for a IR option for nights watch.

I'm looking to identify up to 30m, so that would be a speciallity dome with 8-32mm which hikvision has ( DS-2CD5526G0-IZHS) @ 30m (entrance<> camera) this will be roughly 230ppm.

But a 4MP model will bring me 310ppm, with more noise due to smaller pixels (DS-2CD5546G0-IZHS). So well over the magical 250 just when they can even see the camera for the first time from a distance it will be virtually eye level (mount heith is 2,5m)

As i'm looking at the end of a pretty narrow pathway indoors (like 2,5m wide, so virtually no place to hide even with 32mm) it would be very nice to identify persons just as they walk around the corner, and don't see the dome 30meters away. Maybe it needs some artificial IR light closer by, as the papers say 30M ir (and thats in reality more like 10-15m IR)

Looking at the IPVM calculator, if i use portrait mode i have a blind spot in the first ~10-12m from the camera, but that is allready covered by an overview camera. I was in the beginning thinking about a mini dome PTZ from hik (see other thread) but noticing the prices of the 5 series domes from hikvision, the larger sensor is very appealing to me. The dome PTZ i was looking at is the DS-2DE4A225IW-DE, but it has a 1/2,8" sensor. And a 1/1.8" 2MP will be much higher quality for slightly higher price. But on the plus side of the PTZ, i could keep it landscape, and zoom in even further to get roughly 400ppm still seeing ground to ~2m height on the entrance point, but having a blind spot of like 25 meter not seeing the ground anymore (heads off course alot longer up to the point where the colorvu will gather some info, which may get replace by a 2.8mm 5 series from hikvision)

What would you choose if you are in my position? A 2MP 1/1,8" with 230ppm on the first point of "visibility" or a 4mp, taking in some more noise but >250ppm just when anybody comes in view of the camera 30meter away. Or finally the PTZ dome to be tuned in just to view the entry point in portrait mode so it will be like >400ppm giving a very detailed shot of anybody walking in, but a bit of waste of the PTZ functions as its just a static cam with extreme zoom, and less image quality then a 32mm 1/1.8 for sightly higher price.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While PPM is important, at night time, it is all about getting as much light on the sensor as possible.

Personally, my 2MP cams more times than not are the ones that get the good ID capture of a perp at night.

I would go for the 2MP on the 1/1.8" sensor.

But that is me. YMMV.

aadje93

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking the same direction, as the image starts at 230ppm,but logically if they walk closer it will get significantly higher with less noise then a 1/2.8 sensor.

Thanks for your confirmation, the cam is like 150bucks more but it's business expense luckily.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@aadje93 What camera model are you referring to, the 2MP 1/1.8?

I love my 5442’s, however my property is pretty dark and I think a 2MP on the same size sensor might be a better choice.

aadje93

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bet! Wonder why they’re so pricey- low demand because everyone is chasing pixels?
Wellicht hik/dahua makes acceptabele entry level camera's, but look at axis for example. A goverment wants high quality and no defects as that allways happens when the perps are around

1000 bucks per camera is normal.

Axis even makes a 4/3 " 10mp camera, (4:3 image i think) thats almost double the diagonal of the general recommended 1/1.2" for a 8mp 4k but that camera Costs 1800 euro's here in Holland

That axis can also do 4k 16:9 so it is supposed to be amazing quality colour at night, and im considering 2 for the outside of our business property