On April 8, 2024, the contiguous United States will witness its last total solar eclipse for the next 20 years

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where & how to see the upcoming April 2024 total solar eclipse

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Having seen "totality" during a previous solar eclipse, I can honestly say that it was worth the effort to see it. There is literally nothing like it in the world, but the difference between "totality" and 98% coverage is huge. You definitely want to experience "totality" if you can.

To that end, if you have never experienced totality, I would highly recommend that you make an effort to see it, especially if it's not too far to travel. I promise you won't regret it (unless it is cloudy that day). :cool:

Last edited:

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm directly in the path of totality, like smack dab in the center of the path. I'm looking forward to seeing it. My kids have the day off school and I'm excited for them to experience it as well. What I'm NOT looking forward to is the flood of visitors that are supposed to flock to our very rural county that weekend. We have ~36k residents in our county and they're estimating 100-160k visitors that weekend. We cannot handle that - our roads, stores, gas stations, hotels (there's maybe two or three) even with all this notice will not be able to handle it. It's going to be chaos and I hope that these visitors will be respectful of other peoples property and pick up after themselves, but I know many of them won't. I have a feeling I'll be busy all weekend policing my property, running off squatters, and it's going to ruin the experience for me.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
We have ~36k residents in our county and they're estimating 100-160k visitors that weekend. We cannot handle that - our roads, stores, gas stations, hotels (there's maybe two or three) even with all this notice will not be able to handle it. It's going to be chaos and I hope that these visitors will be respectful of other peoples property and pick up after themselves, but I know many of them won't. I have a feeling I'll be busy all weekend policing my property, running off squatters, and it's going to ruin the experience for me.
We had a total eclipse that went through rural Oregon a few years ago, and had the same sort of estimates with warnings of gridlocked roads, properties being overrun, etc. The actual result was...nothing of any consequence, a.k.a. a nothingburger. I'm in no position to predict the future, just reporting the past.

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We had a total eclipse that went through rural Oregon a few years ago, and had the same sort of estimates with warnings of gridlocked roads, properties being overrun, etc. The actual result was...nothing of any consequence, a.k.a. a nothingburger. I'm in no position to predict the future, just reporting the past.
Gosh I hope that’s the case here. This total eclipse sure seems to be getting a lot of publicity but maybe that’s because the last one didn’t come through Ohio. Looking at traffic maps following the 2017 eclipse most states west of the Mississippi were spared of heavy congestion, probably thanks to population density, but when you get closer to the east coast things got crazy. I’m located less than 2 hours from Detroit and Columbus (both cities are out of the path of totality) and we have a main 4-lane highway going through the county. That’s why we expect a lot of visitors.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m located less than 2 hours from Detroit and Columbus (both cities are out of the path of totality) and we have a main 4-lane highway going through the county
The places I'm talking about are 3 to 4 hours out of Portland, a longer drive from a smaller city than your situation. The press and various pundits were totally beside themselves predicting the crisis.