on camera spotlight vs separate floodlight

Reaction score
considering getting this hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU because it has built in spotlight feature, as opposed to the dahua 5442 series of cameras.

primarily because i thought it would be good to activate for motion detection both in front and behind the house.

for those who have used these cameras with built in spotlight, does it mess with the video recording?

i know these cameras may not instantly adjust to the sudden change in brightness which is what makes me hesitate.

right now, leaning toward the 5442 series without the built in spotlight (just IR). thoughts?

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Light is great but lights close to or part of the camera attract bugs - a lot. Bugs can cause false triggers at times at night. But light is good.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do a search here. Many have not been impressed with the Hikvision ColorVu series. Keep in mind that any camera called "full color" or "night color", etc. still require light. They are not magic and do not defy physics.

Many people have come here after buying the Hikvision ColorVu series expressing their disappointment in the picture quality of the camera because they were expecting magic. If you do not have ambient light outside, you are better off with cameras that can see infrared.

Further, it's onboard white LED lights are not as bright as the 4K/X. There seems to be more complaints about the Hik version at night than the 4K/X. If you want a full color, the 4K/X is a better choice.

Here is link to a thread that shows the disappointment of many thinking a ColorVu camera was magic and could defy physics. Full Color type cameras are great if you have light, but will be horrible if you do not have enough light.

The problem if you make it motion activated is it may miss the motion because the image would be too dark without the illuminators because EVERY camera needs light, whether it is infrared or visible light. Too many people get burned buying a full color camera thinking it is magic. If you don't have enough visible light or don't want the onboard illuminators on then you need a camera with infrared capabilities.