On the market for an intel CPU

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe save your money up for a bit and buy a better camera?
I will, but these Wyze v3 starlight look fantastic and for the price, you can't beat them. So far I haven't seen a better night color picture quality than these $30 cameras. I've had more expensive cameras in the past, but they cannot compare. The night vision is outstanding as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1 this!!!! Get the 4th gen and then get better cams that are not running through your router.

Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies if it is hard-wired trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

You will experience a lot of lost signal in BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will, but these Wyze v3 starlight look fantastic and for the price, you can't beat them. So far I haven't seen a better night color picture quality than these $30 cameras. I've had more expensive cameras in the past, but they cannot compare. The night vision is outstanding as well.
Please share motion at night video with these great picture quality cams...members here are always looking for great alternatives at lower costs...

I can make a cheap camera look like noon at midnight, but then motion is complete crap.

Which expensive cameras have you had in the past and did you run them on auto/default settings or did you dial them in to your field of view?

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^+1 this!!!! Get the 4th gen and then get better cams that are not running through your router.

Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies if it is hard-wired trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

You will experience a lot of lost signal in BI.
I get what you're saying, but at this point I cannot run anything else besides wifi.. Trying to run Ethernet or camera wires to the outside is a pain and almost an impossible task in my house.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but at this point I cannot run anything else besides wifi.. Trying to run Ethernet or camera wires to the outside is a pain and almost an impossible task in my house.
So how are they powered? You can use a powerline adapter to run data over your existing electric lines. Problem solved. Not the first choice, but certainly better than wifi. I still use a powerline adapter on the shed out back looking back towards the house. Never a dropped signal and the data stays off the router.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
When you're using BI the total bandwidth the cameras use on your LAN is meaningless when viewing the cameras from outside your LAN, over the WAN. I have 20 cameras and using the BI app or a web browser and UI3 only uses a megabyte or two of bandwidth.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So how are they powered? You can use a powerline adapter to run data over your existing electric lines. Problem solved. Not the first choice, but certainly better than wifi. I still use a powerline adapter on the shed out back looking back towards the house. Never a dropped signal and the data stays off the router.
I have powerlines adapters...but in order for them to work the best, they need to be connected to the same breaker..if not, you can still use them, but you won't get the full speeds.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The other issue I am facing is because of my internet limitation due to the fact that live in the country side... this is why I doesn't make sense for me to spend more into a faster cpu when I can't really utilize it's capabilities due to my limitations.
You'll use it locally on your network independent of your Internet bandwidth. All of your video processing and recording is done locally. There it will make a difference in how well your system runs. As well as if you add more and/or higher MP cams and/or want to use AI features, it gives you a lot more room to grow.

Also, the bandwidth for remote viewing isn't the entire aggregated throughput of the cams, it's a much smaller stream. Everyone's case is different but even then the large majority of my camera viewing is on my network vs remote.

I've run both the i5-6500 and i7-6700. The latter is noticeably more powerful. You'll see it directly in the CPU utilization for BI and in how responsive it feels overall. I couldn't put a percentage on it in any accurate way. Whether it's worth $80 more is something you'd have to answer. That said, for that load the i5 will be fine. I spent the extra money myself after my i5 system died and after moving to the new server I'm glad that I did.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine are not on the same breaker and as long as you are getting over 10Mbps it is fine. Mine is not only on a different breaker, but on the other side of the two panel column and goes thru 3 GCFI outlets and I still get 100Mbps. Certainly better than 24/7 non-buffered wifi data hitting the router.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you're using BI the total bandwidth the cameras use on your LAN is meaningless when viewing the cameras from outside your LAN, over the WAN. I have 20 cameras and using the BI app or a web browser and UI3 only uses a megabyte or two of bandwidth.
Well that's a lot and .. 1 megabyte is almost more than my bandwidth.... 1 MB is 8 Megabits..so 2 MB is out of the question for me lol

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
1MB is 8Mb, true, but it's not going to overwhelm your WAN connection. You can view from outside if you want to.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine are not on the same breaker and as long as you are getting over 10Mbps it is fine. Certainly better than 24/7 non-buffered wifi data hitting the router.
Well, because my max is 10 Mbps.. I don't get more than that because remember I am not the only one using the internet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your inside the house internent (LAN) is separate from your data connection to the outside world (WAN). Two separate things altogether. I can pull my internet connection and my cameras are still functioning because they are not on the router and not going through the WAN...

When you move to BI, you add a second NIC to the computer and NONE of the camera data passes through your router.

You are completely misunderstanding your bandwidth that you have to get to the outside world (WAN) with what your bandwidth is inside the home (LAN).... WAN is your 10Mbps and LAN is the speed of your router...

Now you have an issue because your wzye piece of crap cameras are passing non-buffered data through a router and that is your problem, not your 10Mbps internet connection... You get your cameras off your router and everything in your house will improve accessing the internet.

Last edited:

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your inside the house internent (LAN) is separate from your data connection to the outside world (WAN). Two separate things altogether. I can pull my internet connection and my cameras are still functioning.

When you move to BI, you add a second NIC to the computer and NONE of the camera data passes through your router.

You are completely misunderstanding your bandwidth that you have to get to the outside world with what your bandwidth is inside the home....
I guess I am..I am confused as to the use of the bandwidth because on every camera I've had it says the required upload speed per camera...for instance, the ring door camera I have, it says it requires a min of 2 Mbits upload.. and the Wyze cams, it says it needs a min of 1.5-2 Mbits per camera. - So you're saying because these cameras are RTSP and I don't need to upload anything to the cloud, the upload speed is irrelevant UNLESS I want to view them from outside the LAN?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I am..I am confused as to the use of the bandwidth because on every camera I've had it says the required upload speed per camera...for instance, the ring door camera I have, it says it requires a min of 2 Mbits upload.. and the Wyze cams, it says it needs a min of 1.5-2 Mbits per camera. - So you're saying because these cameras are RTSP and I don't need to upload anything to the cloud, the upload speed is irrelevant UNLESS I want to view them from outside the LAN?
Again it is because you are using cameras that require an internet connection for a cloud service, which is just not safe or secure and a total waste of internet bandwidth.

Most of us here have ZERO internet data being used by our cameras. We either dual NIC our BI computer or VLAN to isolate that traffic from not bogging down the router or our internet connection. Then the only time it passes through the router is when we are accessing it from away from home, which most of us use OpenVPN so that we go back to our home IP address which keeps the cameras off the interent.

I don't have wyze cams, but if you are able to view their feed in BI and do not need to have them access the internet or the cloud, you will see your overall internet performance improve once you get these off your router and your internet.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Again it is because you are using cameras that require an internet connection for a cloud service, which is just not safe or secure and a total waste of internet bandwidth.

Most of us here have ZERO internet data being used by our cameras. We either dual NIC our BI computer or VLAN to isolate that traffic from not bogging down the router or our internet connection. Then the only time it passes through the router is when we are accessing it from away from home, which most of us use OpenVPN so that we go back to our home IP address which keeps the cameras off the interent.

I don't have wyze cams, but if you are able to view their feed in BI and do not need to have them access the internet or the cloud, you will see your overall internet performance improve once you get these off your router and your internet.
I can block the interent on all wyze cams..would that be the same as adding them to a NIC?

Last edited: