On the market for an intel CPU

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't block the interent on all wyze cams..would that be the same as adding them to a NIC?
If you pull the internet cord or power off the modem do these cams still work or do they need access to the internet to work?

If they can work without an internet connection (which I believe they can because some here do use them), then you can put them on a NIC that does not have internet access.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess I am..I am confused as to the use of the bandwidth because on every camera I've had it says the required upload speed per camera...for instance, the ring door camera I have, it says it requires a min of 2 Mbits upload.. and the Wyze cams, it says it needs a min of 1.5-2 Mbits per camera. - So you're saying because these cameras are RTSP and I don't need to upload anything to the cloud, the upload speed is irrelevant UNLESS I want to view them from outside the LAN?

Basically, yes. In the case of Ring, Wyze, et. al., the server is outside of your network. So you're streaming data over the Internet to store and view it there no matter where you access it from.

With BI the server is local on your network. So you're streaming the video data only locally and your Internet speed is irrelevant (unless viewing remotely which again is just a small subset).

BTW, you can put your Wyze V3 cams on your local net/BI too now with the RTSP beta that's been released. You might be able to block them from Internet access but you'd lose the ability to control them with the app, Cloud Plus services, etc. I've not tried to block mine. But, even if not, that would be a wash in your case since you're already streaming that data.

Last edited:

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How about a list of the model numbers of these cameras. I'm a glutton for punishment.
It's ok Sebastian.. I appreciate you trying to help, but it seems you get too frustrated dealing with someone less knowledgeable than you... and I get it.. it's frustrating trying to assist a simpleton like me.

@wittaj . - Yes, I can still view them if I unplug the ethernet.. meaning if I block internet access I can still view them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, then you will want to add a $15 NIC to your purchase so that you have one NIC that you connect all your cameras to and then the other NIC is for internet access. It is called the dual NIC process and it is the cheapest way to isolate the cameras from the internet.

You will see a drastic improvement in your internet speed at home once you do that!

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Basically, yes. In the case of Ring, Wyze, et. al., the server is outside of your network. So you're streaming data over the Internet to store and view it there no matter where you access it from.

With BI the server is local on your network. So you're streaming the video data only locally and your Internet speed is irrelevant (unless viewing remotely which again is just a small subset).

BTW, you can put your Wyze V3 cams on your local net/BI too now with the RTSP beta that's been released.
with Wyze, yes, don't need the cloud now that they have the RTSP version, which is what I have.. but the Ring..no... that HAS to be connected and always uploading to the cloud unfortunately.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, then you will want to add a $15 NIC to your purchase so that you have one NIC that you connect all your cameras to and then the other NIC is for internet access. It is called the dual NIC process and it is the cheapest way to isolate the cameras from the internet.

You will see a drastic improvement in your internet speed at home once you do that!
Thanks.. but to the honest, I don't have an issue with poor internet or have any type of problems.. I was just under the impression I would not be able to have more than 6-8 cameras because I thought my bandwidth would not allow it.
But now, I know I can.. I just have to disable internet access to them so they can't use any bandwidth.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember, the dual NIC means that they cameras will need to connect to the PC by wired ethernet, not WiFi, and will require a switch. You coould also keep them WiFi using a second router, cheapie, that supports only the cameras. The ideal situation is wired to a switch then to the second NIC in the PC.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The other issue I am facing is because of my internet limitation due to the fact that live in the country side.. only have max of 10 Mbps upload, so I cannot run more than 6 cameras without it causing an issue with bandwidth. I also work from home so that uses bandwidth as well and have people streaming videos and online gaming..so yeah, I am very limited... this is why I doesn't make sense for me to spend more into a faster cpu when I can't really utilize it's capabilities due to my limitations. I also found an i7-4770 which is a lot cheaper as well... but, I am leaning more towards the i5-6500 and save those $100 and use it for something else.
You may not realize you had a problem until you take these cams off the router and internet and you were just chalking up slow performance due to limited internet connection. Your speed will improve and streaming videos and online gaming will improve...

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remember, the dual NIC means that they cameras will need to connect to the PC by wired ethernet, not WiFi, and will require a switch. You coould also keep them WiFi using a second router, cheapie, that supports only the cameras. The ideal situation is wired to a switch then to the second NIC in the PC.
To make sure I am understanding the main point of adding them to a NIC... is it to isolate them and block them off completely from the internet? - if that's the case, then can't I just block internet access from the router? I have an Asus RT-AC86U and I can easily block them via the router...or is there another point to using a NIC?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To make sure I am understanding the main point of adding them to a NIC... is to to isolate them and block them off completely from the internet? - if that's the case, then can't I just block internet access from the router? I have an Asus RT-AC86U and I can easily block them via the router...or is there another point of the NIC?
If you block them from internet access in the router, that camera data is still passing through the router to get to your BI computer and consumer grade routers are not designed for the non-buffering data streams that these cameras require. Netflix works because they buffer.

Now you could run all the cameras and the BI computer to one switch and then a cable from that switch to the router, but a dual NIC is so cheap and provides much better isolation.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think Id just buy Bitcoin with this budget money, then rotate into ETH when BTC hits 100k in December and set a limit order to sell your ETH @ 10k... while your waiting on that keep reading... By Q1 next year you'll be ready to buy and set up something worth while.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The point of the 2nd NIC is to totally isolate them from the internet. It's a fact of life that security cameras, ironically, have the worst security in them. Every manufacturer has problems with backdoor access in firmware that allows hackers to hijack them for bot nets, they aren't interested n watching your front yard but use them in DOS attacks and such.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh ok I see.. that's going to be a bit difficult because my cameras are very far apart from each other... the computer running BI is in a spot where it cannot reach all cameras very well and using Ethernet to that computer is out of the question. I have tried using Powerline, but I guess my wiring is not the greatest so I get a lot of interference and it bogs down the connection from time to time when using the Powerline (this happened way before I started using cameras).

But, I can also isolate the cameras and place them on a different subnet...would that be about the same as using a 2nd NIC?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not really since they'll all still be going through your main router. the 86U is a decent router, but it does have its' limits.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is shocking how much of a toll these type of non-buffering cameras put on a router.

Before I knew any better, I just chalked my slow internet to too many tablets, video and gaming, etc. and would call my ISP and pay to increase the speed. Did that like 5 times over the years.

Once I took the cameras off the router, the latency and speed improved tremendously, so much so I was about to cut my ISP speed way back, and thus more money in my pocket for my cameras LOL.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not really since they'll all still be going through your main router. the 86U is a decent router, but it does have its' limits.
It is shocking how much of a toll these type of non-buffering cameras put on a router.

Before I knew any better, I just chalked my slow internet to too many tablets, video and gaming, etc. and would call my ISP and pay to increase the speed. Did that like 5 times over the years.

Once I took the cameras off the router, the latency and speed improved tremendously, so much so I was about to cut my ISP speed way back, and thus more money in my pocket for my cameras LOL.
To be fair, as I mentioned before.. I have no issues at all with my internet. When I do speed test, I get pretty much what I am paying for which is 50 down and 10 up... even with all 6 cameras connected.
My son and I game online and the wife uploads her youtube videos and I get no hiccups at all while all of that is going on.. maybe is because I am using Qos which is balancing everything nicely!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I would speed test and get what I am paying for as well. Maybe you do experience latency issues that you don't realize or maybe you don't, but getting the cameras off the router has only upsides.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I would speed test and get what I am paying for as well.
I guess what I meant by doing the speed test is ... it doesn't seem the Wyze cameras are causing any issues at all... I get great ping on games and and never really have any issues at all..no buffering while streaming movies and playing games at the same time.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj I think I was just creating a non issue in my head because of lack of understanding on how the cameras utilize bandwidth.. the way I thought was completely wrong...and thanks to you guys I now have a better understanding.