One cam's ip has changed?

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently replaced one of my cameras running in Blue Iris. The camera's ip was 192.168.0.180.
After 9 days, I restarted my computer and Blue Iris could not find the camera.
I decided to check with SADP. Turned out that the cameras IP was now at 192.168.0.102.

What happened? What am I missing?

I did not think DHCP would change an IP cameras address?
How can I keep this from happening again?

If that were normal, none of my other cameras would be found when when Blue Iris starts up.
I'm sure there is a simple answer that my simple knowledge is missing.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
did you have static DHCP mapping for your old cameras but forgot to add a static DHCP mapping for your new camera? The new camera could have got a new address when the DHCP lease expired and the 192.168.0.102 was the new address it was assigned.

Ways to avoid it... add a static mapping on whatever device handles your DHCP or configure the camera manually with an IP address outside the range of the DHCP pool to avoid duplicate IP addresses.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There a couple of ways.

Use a static IP address on the camera and set your DHCP range below the cam IP addresses, as Sphinxicus mentioned. For example, have DHCP serve addresses from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.150. Then use 192.168.0.151 to 192.168.0.254 as your static IP address range. Use your browser to access the camera directly and change to a static IP address, within the .151 to .254 range.

The second option is to assign an IP address using the MAC address of the camera in your router, such that when the cam powers up, it broadcasts the MAC address and the router picks it up and sends the assigned IP address.

Also note the recommendations to keep cameras from having access to the internet, usually using a second network card or using VLAN scheme.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
did you have static DHCP mapping for your old cameras but forgot to add a static DHCP mapping for your new camera? The new camera could have got a new address when the DHCP lease expired and the 192.168.0.102 was the new address it was assigned.

Ways to avoid it... add a static mapping on whatever device handles your DHCP or configure the camera manually with an IP address outside the range of the DHCP pool to avoid duplicate IP addresses.
WoW, that was fast. Thank you.
Where do I do that? In Blue Iris? In the router? In Windows? Sorry about my ignorance.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WoW, that was fast. Thank you.
Where do I do that? In Blue Iris? In the router? In Windows? Sorry about my ignorance.
If your router is handling DHCP, then your router is where you should assign static DHCP mappings. If you are manually configuring IP address per camera then you would need to navigate to each cameras web interface and do so there.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ on both info from @concord and @Sphinxicus .
Personally, I got used to the method of assigning unique static IP's to cams, printers, etc. that were outside of the router's DHCP pool mainly because several of the router/modem combos furnished by ISP's in this area don't have a featureset that allows reserving IP's or assigned IP's to device MAC's.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1^^ on both info from @concord and @Sphinxicus .
Personally, I got used to the method of assigning unique static IP's to cams, printers, etc. that were outside of the router's DHCP pool mainly because several of the router/modem combos furnished by ISP's in this area don't have a featureset that allows reserving IP's or assigned IP's to device MAC's.
I have to say that I do the same. My cameras dont get anywhere near a DHCP service so manually configured they are :)

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you all,

Went into my router and reserved for all my cams.