One HDW5442TM-AS cannot run playback from NAS - others are working

187nitro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hallo Guys,

I have a problem with my IPC-HDW5442TM-AS 2.8 lens. I configured to save all alarm records on my NAS via smb. Saving works without problems. I can see the files and play them with the VLC player.
But if I want to playback them on Smart PSS there is always the message "Channel IPC has no record!". Everything else is working on Smart PSS for this camera.

I have two IPC-HDW5442TM-AS 3.6 lens cameras and they are configured the same. Both are working with Smart PSS. They store the records on the same NAS.
I checked the tcp packages with Wireshark and I can see that the camera is returning an error when Smart PSS is asking if there are records:

JSON:
{"error":
    {
        "code":2 85409284,
        "message":""
    },
    "id":224535,
    "result":false,
    "session":2147483619
}
One information is missing: Both 3.6 lens (working) are running on firmware V2.800.0000000.0.R. The 2.8 (not working) camera is running V2.800.0000000.1.R.
Should I try to downgrade the 2.8 lens camera? Is this possible? Any tipps?

Thank you,
nitro

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the only way you'll find the answer is to experiment with the firmware versions. I have a different problem with my IPC-HDW5442TM-AS and have been freely changing between the V2.800.0000000.1.R , .8.R and .10.R versions. I can't answer if you can downgrade to .0.R because I didn't try that one myself, but based on my experience I'd assume it would work. Andy made a post a couple of days ago about a newer firmware version that he was testing.

It's interesting to me about the lens size difference. Mine is 6mm, which I think is uncommon, and "everybody" else's IVS works better than mine. I've sometimes wondered if the issue was associated with the lens size, but logically that seems crazy.

187nitro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. I downgraded my version to the V2.800.0000000.0.R like my both other cameras. Now I can play the records with Smart PSS. But now IVS is not triggering anymore. No matter if I choose intrusion or tripwire.
Motion detection is triggering without problems.

I will try the new firmware which was posted by Andy (V2.800.0000000.10.R). I will give a feedback later.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is IVS working with version V2.800.0000000.0.R on the other 2 cameras? My bad 5442 experience is that my IVS doesn't work very well while others report that it works great. I'm wondering if some of these 5442s are just plain faulty? Here's my version vs. IVS experience:

version 10.R (where I started out): Tripwire and intrusion are close to useless. They detect people (which looks like a different mechanism to me), but pretty much nothing else.

Version 1.R: Tripwire and intrusion work great, detection-wise. However, in some cases (15% to 20% as a guess), the camera doesn't send the event end message, causing the event marker on the NVR timeline to go on indefinitely. So from a timeline perspective, 10.R never trips, while 1.R is always tripped.

Version 8.R: Tripwire and intrusion work reasonably well but not nearly as good as with the 1.R version. Combined with a little bit of motion detection I'm getting along with this version.

Of these versions, only 10.R has Smart IR which fortunately isn't important where I use the camera.

Just in case there's some connection, I'll add that my 5442 shipped with the yellow triangle problem. I may eventually ask Andy for a replacement, but I think coronavirus has that on hold for the near term. I'm also holding out a small hope that the next firmware version will make it all good.

187nitro

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed 10.R and at this time IVS triggering and playback with Smart PSS is working. I will test how good the IVS is doing in the next days.