only substream in play back

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have browsed the forum and elsewhere and I know BI is only supposed to play back main when only one camera is displayed. Unfortunately I can't make it work. I can enlarge one camera to full screen or select a clip and either way only get substream unless there is a triggering event that pops it into mainstream. I have attached photos of some of my settings.

Not sure what I am missing.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have browsed the forum and elsewhere and I know BI is only supposed to play back main when only one camera is displayed.
In "Live" view only.
That 3rd image is a clip, what happens when you double-click a camera's live view to make it go full screen? That should definitely display the main stream.

You said you "...only get substream unless there is a triggering event that pops it into mainstream" and that is the way it's supposed to operate. It records the substream, saving so much work for the CPU and switches to record mainstream only when an event such as motion triggers the cam.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In livestream with full screen I get full resolution. In play back no. I have attached two more attachments. This view is full screen in timeline where it pops into full resolution when the camera is triggered only

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the way playback works under that setting - substream until triggered then goes to mainstream and then back.

If you want mainstream with no triggers then select just continuous recording.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is the way playback works under that setting - substream until triggered then goes to mainstream and then back.

If you want mainstream with no triggers then select just continuous recording.
Will do thanks. That is what I want so I can see footage that hadn't been triggered. Kinda confusing wording

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind recording cont mainstream uses a lot more storage than substream until triggered

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will do. Have 12TB for 11 and soon to be 12 cameras. May leave some of the less critical ones at continuous and trigger

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In livestream with full screen I get full resolution. In play back no. I have attached two more attachments. This view is full screen in timeline where it pops into full resolution when the camera is triggered only
That's the way it works, as stated in my post #2 and as stated in Post #4 by @wittaj .

EDIT: From BI's built-in "Help", "Recording and Clips" => "Recording Options":

Continuous + alerts. When used with a dual-streaming camera along with direct-todisc,
the result is a BVR file which will contain the sub-stream continuously
recorded, but the main-stream only recorded when the camera is in an alerted state.
During main-stream playback, the sub-stream will be upsampled whenever the mainstream
is not available. This dual-stream hybrid may be exported only when reencoding
is selected, although you may still export the main-stream in segments
when not re-encoding. When not using dual-streams or direct-to-disc, recording of
the sub (or only) stream is continuous.
Continuous + triggered. Similar to Continuous + alerts, but main stream recording
occurs upon trigger, not just alerts, ensuring that the main stream is recorded even
for canceled alerts.