Only using Blue Iris to notify

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I been using NVR for some time but with the recent changed from one of the cam manufacturing that seems to keep screwing up the notification features when they make changes to the phone apps at each update so I am thinking about looking at other resources to use for notification and alert.

Only main reason I never gotten into using a computer as an NVR due to the size of the unit and I am trying to cut back as much electricity usage as possible since a NVR would need to be stay on 24/7 without sleeping correct?

I understand the need to use big processor like i7 due to the video compressor required to process it but I am wondering if Blue Iris can be trigger via camera ONVIF setting without needing to stream the video so it can be install on smaller computer like mirco size computers? I just wanted to use Blue Iris to notify me when a motion is detect but not to stream video to it or to record videos. Is that even possible?

I know that IVS probably will not work since it not available via ONVIF and the motion detector on camera sucks so I am guessing to have a good motion detect that Blue Iris the one that need to do the analyzing and still require a high end processor right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I been using NVR for some time but with the recent changed from one of the cam manufacturing that seems to keep screwing up the notification features when they make changes to the phone apps at each update so I am thinking about looking at other resources to use for notification and alert.

Only main reason I never gotten into using a computer as an NVR due to the size of the unit and I am trying to cut back as much electricity usage as possible since a NVR would need to be stay on 24/7 without sleeping correct?

I understand the need to use big processor like i7 due to the video compressor required to process it but I am wondering if Blue Iris can be trigger via camera ONVIF setting without needing to stream the video so it can be install on smaller computer like mirco size computers? I just wanted to use Blue Iris to notify me when a motion is detect but not to stream video to it or to record videos. Is that even possible?

I know that IVS probably will not work since it not available via ONVIF and the motion detector on camera sucks so I am guessing to have a good motion detect that Blue Iris the one that need to do the analyzing and still require a high end processor right?
the need for an i7 with blue iris is a fallacy...it depends on your load...most of the time a modern i5 is way more than enough.
a modern pc, whether an i5 or i7 will only use about 30w-50w under average loads...not a significant difference over the nvr. you can stream the substream instead of the main stream but this is silly...get a proper system for 100-300 bux and enjoy blue iris ...tos the nvr in the trash where it belongs. There are threads where users are able to use dahua ivs to trigger bi...however BI has a much more robust and customizable line cross detection as well as the ability to integrate zwave or hardwired motion detectors.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
the need for an i7 with blue iris is a fallacy...it depends on your load...most of the time a modern i5 is way more than enough.
a modern pc, whether an i5 or i7 will only use about 30w-50w under average loads...not a significant difference over the nvr. you can stream the substream instead of the main stream but this is silly...get a proper system for 100-300 bux and enjoy blue iris ...tos the nvr in the trash where it belongs. There are threads where users are able to use dahua ivs to trigger bi...however BI has a much more robust and customizable line cross detection as well as the ability to integrate zwave or hardwired motion detectors.

Yeah, I probably will have to go that route.

Thank you for your input.