ONVIF Camera Reccomendation

kelkin

n3wb
Reaction score
I used to use Blue Iris with older D-Link cameras back before all the manufacturers made their cameras proprietary peddling their own cloud based recording subscriptions. I've since moved and several years later I now find myself needing to set up a few cameras once again. Since I want 24 hour constant recording and not motion based recording, and I have a few QNAP NASs laying around, I want to use QNAP Pro as my NVR and need to find some decent cameras. Years ago everyone was raving about Foscam, so I bought a few R5s just to find out there is no admin interface on them, you have to control them with an app and there is barely anything customizable about them; you cant even disable the mic or IR LEDs. My old D-Link cameras were insanely customizable via their web interface.

Does anyone make cameras like that anymore? I'm looking for indoor wifi PTZs that are fully customizable including the ability to disable IR LEDs and audio. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Reaction score
I used to use Blue Iris with older D-Link cameras back before all the manufacturers made their cameras proprietary peddling their own cloud based recording subscriptions. I've since moved and several years later I now find myself needing to set up a few cameras once again. Since I want 24 hour constant recording and not motion based recording, and I have a few QNAP NASs laying around, I want to use QNAP Pro as my NVR and need to find some decent cameras. Years ago everyone was raving about Foscam, so I bought a few R5s just to find out there is no admin interface on them, you have to control them with an app and there is barely anything customizable about them; you cant even disable the mic or IR LEDs. My old D-Link cameras were insanely customizable via their web interface.

Does anyone make cameras like that anymore? I'm looking for indoor wifi PTZs that are fully customizable including the ability to disable IR LEDs and audio. Can anyone make any recommendations?
can't think of any cameras off the top of my head that are like that anymore, nope. sorry. oh wait.... !

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I own 2 of those amcrest cameras above for inside. Outside I have several 2087/color x/5442 cameras.

First off, I just have to say that for security concerns, there is NO comparison on quality for night time videos between these consumer and prosumer cameras. Daytime they are reasonable, but night time the Foscams do NOT compete when an object is moving. So keep that in mind depending on what it is you are trying to accomplish. Meaning you should have no hope of night time performance for those foscam cameras. Blurry/blocky/fuzzy/crappy etc. Again, not talking about static images, only referring to moving objects at night.

So why do I own (and like) the 2 PTZ foscams I have?
Because when we are on vacation we can track our pets and house sitter. And these cameras are awesome for that! Zoom, tilt, pan! Listen in! Yay!

So for pet tracking I think Foscam is great. Plus they can do as you ask, modify the IR light to on/off, turn the mic on/off, talk through them (ok, that feature is a laugh), programmable positions, etc. Relatively configurable. So they fill a nice little non-security niche.

This is the the exact model I ordered (one is hard patched, the other wifi, both run through BI):

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.