ONVIF doorbell w/ NAS or off-network doorbell?

npcampbell

n3wb
Reaction score
Newbie with first post here.

Should I buy a doorbell that works with Synology or go with an off network doorbell? If so, which doorbell would you suggest?

I just bought a Synology NAS and PoE+ switch to support a number of digital projects I have going on (security being one of them). I had a Blink X2 doorbell and it was unusable out of the box without major compromises. Focused correctly, I get about 35 false alerts per day regardless of how the motion detection filters were set.... unusable. Focused downwards, I got about 5-6 false alerts per day mostly due to shrubs moving or the occasionally bunny/bird.

My requirements are:
Good motion detection filtering
It has to be wifi and use the transformer. I can't get a PoE ethernet cable to that location and I don't want to constantly change batteries. I can swap out the transformer if need be.
It needs less audio lag than the X2. 2 seconds or better is workable.
I don't care so much about the resolution as I'll have other high resolution cameras covering the door from different angles
No subscription fees. I don't mind paying a few hundred for a doorbell as long as there are no monthly/annual subscription fees.
Door lock/unlock and wifi chimes would be a good feature but not a showstopper.

TimTech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been using the Uniden U-Bell (rebranded HikVision DS-KB6003-WIP). It uses my doorbell chime for power and 2.4Ghz for wi-fi. It has the ability to map zones for detection and adjust sensitivity but those adjustments aren't very accurate. I find it hard to ignore cars on the road 75 feet away and still get motion detection on my front lawn. The audio lag is minimal. The 1080P at 12 fps is pretty good. Night vision has a lot of internal glare from the IR emitters. I have a 128GB card SD card in it , record triggered events on the card without any subscription, and view the recordings via the app on my phone. I am able to view the HD and lower res streams on VLC via RTSP.
I would love to get a 2k version of this style of doorbell and marry it to a blue iris setup. My goal is the transformer powered or POE 2k doorbell with local storage (no subscription).