open vpn no connection after a day

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have a Asus ac86 router and have been running OpenVPN fine for a while but the last few months I have to reboot the router to get my mobile to connect again. Next day, same deal. Nothing has changed except maybe some router firmware upgrades. Also have a AC68 at another location and can connect to that fine, so I do not believe it is in the app. Once I reboot the router it works fine for another day or two and back to no connection. Anyone else experience this issue with a 86?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use stock Asus firmware so I can't tell you where to find it, but look for your router's logs. If the OpenVPN service is crashing or stopping for some reason, the logs may mention it.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
With ^^ - have a look at Rmerlin's firmware (100% based on official ASUS firmware but with latest updates - which take bit more time to propagate through the ASUS process - but with tons of improvements).

Maat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also worth checking if you have static or dynamic WAN (external) IP address. If dynamic, which is usually the case, you should check if your dynamic DNS service updates the WAN IP address when it changes (usually every 24 hours). Maybe dynamic dns fails to update the address.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Running a RT-AC66U Asus router with stock asus Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_51640 . I use the ASUS DDNS service to keep the external WAN IP address resolution updated. I have had no problems with OpenVPN for over 18 months.

I use xfinity comcast internet service. My WAN IP address does not change very often, maybe every few months or after a major power failure.

Maat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not much information is given. It could be number of reasons. The logs (on router and on mobile) are the first ones to look at.