Open VPN problems?

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had openvpn working with my Asus RT68U and Iphone XS about a year ago. Long story short, I swapped to a google wifi setup and quit using openvpn. I'm now back to my Asus router, but cannot get openvpn to work. I tried adding a new client profile file to my iphone.
My router shows it's connected. The iphone shows it's connected. It shows packets received. My server public ip on openvpn shows my home ip address. I'm at home, but I have my iphone on LTE. If I try to connect to BI I get Unable to make connection; check server
address. If I put my ip address into Safari I get "Safari cannot open the page because your iPhone is not connected to the internet". But I can browse other internet sites, so this really doesn't make sense to me. If I check "what's my ip" on my iphone I get my home IP address.

Also, I do connect to BI fine if I have my iphone on wifi.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had openvpn working with my Asus RT68U and Iphone XS about a year ago. Long story short, I swapped to a google wifi setup and quit using openvpn. I'm now back to my Asus router, but cannot get openvpn to work. I tried adding a new client profile file to my iphone.
My router shows it's connected. The iphone shows it's connected. It shows packets received. My server public ip on openvpn shows my home ip address. I'm at home, but I have my iphone on LTE. If I try to connect to BI I get Unable to make connection; check server
address. If I put my ip address into Safari I get "Safari cannot open the page because your iPhone is not connected to the internet". But I can browse other internet sites, so this really doesn't make sense to me. If I check "what's my ip" on my iphone I get my home IP address.

Also, I do connect to BI fine if I have my iphone on wifi.

Any suggestions? Thanks
ensure that your local lan ip is entered in both wan and lan boxes of the app

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ensure that your local lan ip is entered in both wan and lan boxes of the app
The IOS app?

Where it shows "Your Private IP" it is not my local lan. It's more like "10.6.0.4"

Where it shows "Server Public IP" it is my home lan

Or am I supposed to be looking somewhere else?

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The IOS app?

Where it shows "Your Private IP" it is not my local lan. It's more like "10.6.0.4"

Where it shows "Server Public IP" it is my home lan

Or am I supposed to be looking somewhere else?

Thank you
Yes enter the local lan blue iris pc and webserver port in both boxes. Deselect lookup.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes enter the local lan blue iris pc and webserver port in both boxes. Deselect lookup.
I don't see any way to change it. Under settings I have

VPN protocol Adaptive
IPv6 no preference
DNS fallback checked
Connect via any network
Layer 2 reachability checked

Also, I have no certificates. Should I have that.

Sorry, I know just enough to get me in trouble.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see any way to change it. Under settings I have

VPN protocol Adaptive
IPv6 no preference
DNS fallback checked
Connect via any network
Layer 2 reachability checked

Also, I have no certificates. Should I have that.

Sorry, I know just enough to get me in trouble.
You should be making these changes in the Blue Iris mobile app