OpenALPR - A How-To on Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop

fernandw

n3wb
Reaction score
Long time lurker, figured I would give back after learning from you wonderful people.

Although most of this is mine, some of it was pulled together from various sources on the Internet and the Git Repo for openalpr.

This bundle includes directions on configuring Ubuntu 16.04 with xrdp, apache web server, MySQL database, a python script to reduce the duplicates and read the beanstalk queue, and several php files to display dynamic data from your MySQL database and your snapshots if you want it.

I wrote this document after scrounging the internet looking for a simple step by step process in getting a working copy of OpenALPR up and running at home, with a MySQL database, and php support.

This is for you to acquire an understanding of how to pull this together only. I would NOT run this in a way that would be accessible from the Internet or in a DMZ. It will get hacked if left in the open. Most of the passwords are defaults to assist others in getting this up and running.

If anyone wants to make this better, please, take what I've done and share your labor in this thread.

I'll be entering the feeds from two 5231E-Z12's in the next week.

r/Wade in NOLA

Attachments

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the effort. Much appreciated. :headbang:

fernandw

n3wb
Reaction score
No problem. It was easy for me to document while doing the implementation for a friend of mine.

I hope this helps someone with no IT experience.

Wade

Reaction score
@fernandw, did you ever successfully get your feeds running for your Z12 cameras?

I've been toying with the idea of running an in-house version of OpenALPR. Installing the OpenALPR web server was pretty straightforward, but OpenALPR wants $1000 per camera plus $180 / year to run it on-site. Now I'm debating if your documented approach is worth pursuing.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial. I was able to install this headless on OrangePiPC with a few modifications. I don't have a dedicated camera, but it did a pretty decent job in the driveway with my 5231

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting thank you so much for posting this I am going to give this a try definitely. Thank you for putting it together!

Dahuacamcctv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this tutorial. I have been trying to setup openalpr for a while but have been having trouble getting it running. I will try this tutorial when I get home.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I did follow this and getting stuck at cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:pATH=/usr -DCMAKE_INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR:pATH=/etc .. This step when I try after this and do make

IT says No targets specified and no makefile found

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I got thru the makefile There are few hiccups I am having at the end like mjpeg 8080 IP address for camera.. And I think some of the myphp is also having issue. I guess I will try again next weekend.

fernandw

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad this is helping you guys out.

I have a request to update this to a newer format, I may start that process this month.

fernandw

n3wb
Reaction score
@fernandw, did you ever successfully get your feeds running for your Z12 cameras?

I've been toying with the idea of running an in-house version of OpenALPR. Installing the OpenALPR web server was pretty straightforward, but OpenALPR wants $1000 per camera plus $180 / year to run it on-site. Now I'm debating if your documented approach is worth pursuing.
Yip, works well.

fernandw

n3wb
Reaction score
Need fast storage for retention of snapshots, I doubt an sdcard could keep up...

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fernandw Thanks again for this tutorial. I've been running this since July 2019 and have 1.5 million records in my database (I opted not to do the scheduled purge! But do dump the pictures after a few months). I'm curious if you ever made any further improvements or implemented the "Health Checks" referenced at the end of your installation instructions word doc. The only time I ever have an issue is if someone parks on the street and ALPRD hits the plate over and over again until it apparently crashes. I set up a cron job to restart the openalprd service every hour in case of a lockup.