OpenALPR - No more free rides

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many plates per second OpenALPR can capture? I haven't been able to find that on their site and was trying to do additional comparisons to plate recognizer.

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many plates per second OpenALPR can capture? I haven't been able to find that on their site and was trying to do additional comparisons to plate recognizer.
It's a function of how much computing power you dedicate to the client. I run OpenALPR on an NVIDIA graphics card, and get 50 fps with two Dahua -Z12 cameras at 2 MP resolution.

Reaction score
I would like to use Plate Recognizer but I live on a T-corner and get about 380 vehicles a day. With 2 LPR cams, a lot of those are scanned by both cams. Plus all of the non-plated things that go by like golf carts, I probably have over 18,000 lookups a month. Really don't want to spend $50/month. Wish they offered something in between 2500/free and 50,000/$50.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is OpenALPR still popular?

Just reading through this thread, looks like they've bumped the price again, to $8 per month? That makes it nearly $100 a year

1640965585366.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh wow, that's ridiculous, hope others can chime in on this :( Inflation anyone?

Is OpenALPR still popular?

Just reading through this thread, looks like they've bumped the price again, to $8 per month? That makes it nearly $100 a year

View attachment 114010

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
do current users get grandfathered in the $5 plan?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do current users get grandfathered in the $5 plan?
Nope. We all got charged the increase and many of us here emailed in and complained, but no luck.

It is still unfortunately the most economical solution, but it is reaching a price point that the homeowner will quit doing. We are such a small part of their business though that they won't care.

However, @MikeLud1 recently began some work on trying to create a model and is seeing some success.

XativaDavid

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I thought it's been $8 for a while now.
Since November. I´ve written and asked if they can at least offer some additional functionality in return for the 60% price increase (more plate lists, more plates per list, that kind of thing). I suspect part of the problem is that Rekor loses money and their share price has fallen off a cliff since April 2021 despite their increased business levels and prices, so the question may well be whether they can survive.

Reaction score
Since November. I´ve written and asked if they can at least offer some additional functionality in return for the 60% price increase (more plate lists, more plates per list, that kind of thing). I suspect part of the problem is that Rekor loses money and their share price has fallen off a cliff since April 2021 despite their increased business levels and prices, so the question may well be whether they can survive.
What must be especially galling to Rekor is how Flock Safety keeps procuring huge amounts of investment capital doing exactly the same thing they should be doing, i.e. selling and leasing LPR systems. Both Rekor and Flock Safety were founded in 2017, but the difference has been night and day for them.

OpenALPR is a great product, yet Rekor almost seems to ignore it in favor of their nebulous traffic analytic services. Flock Safety, on the other hand, has LPR cameras everywhere, and a steadily growing customer base along with other anti-crime analytic tools now being offered.

Rekor may not survive, but OpenALPR undoubtedly will. The IP is too valuable. If Rekor does fold, the question is whether OpenALPR winds up in the hands of a company that is willing to offer licenses to smaller customers.