OpenALPR - No more free rides

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Does anyone know, What is store plates jpeg quality .. It is off by default even though I have Local Webserver running. Should I choose the quality as 85 or even 100 ? if that is percent.. And also it has a location seems like for plate images.. Even though currently my images are being saved already.. Just dont know how exactly its pulling it for local web server..

1584843617402.png

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The store_plate_jpeg_quality is the level of compression used, to save disk space. If you reduce the size down you can store more images but at a lower resolution. A score of 85 is quite high and would retain the original image with very little image quality loss.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So should l I have it checked.. Only to adjust it say if I wanted it even above 85% .. ?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, 85 is the default. You only need to enter a value if you wish to use something other than the default of 85.

You would have to test it, but I doubt you would see any visual difference between 85 and 100.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
How about the location .. Does that save images then under that location as JPG. Coz I think as default I cannot even see where the images are being dumped.. When running the local server..

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
How about the location .. Does that save images then under that location as JPG. Coz I think as default I cannot even see where the images are being dumped.. When running the local server..
I believe the local images are all stored in a proprietary MDB database file, and the server pulls out the images as JPGs for display whenever asked to.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
the server pulls out the images as JPGs for disp
Thank you @ Dlong2 yes that is what I was noticing it was like a MD5 some file.. but no where I could see .jpg or anything.. This explains it. Thank you ! Which is kinda better in terms of If someone was say after the data we stored they just wont easily find the .jpg.. with license plates...:D Kinda cool :D

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While that camera looks nice, it just can't zoom out far enough for me to be used for LPR :-(

Is there anyone one here that is using the open source edition of OpenALPR? There has not been an update to it in years, but might be worth looking into. I was thinking about a hybrid open source & paid solution to keep costs down.... Since I just do ALPR for fun mostly.

The open source edition can't connect direct to the camera stream from what I can tell. No idea how you go about automating the process when using the open source edition.

Can anyone share how they are doing it if using the open source version?
Did anyone answer this? Yes I use both. The open edition finds the jpg to send to the commercial version.
I do this in python. My coding is fairly bad ;)
I post a PHP version that just posts to MySQL.

JaBu

n3wb
Reaction score
I need help, I installed openalpr on-site over 2 years ago. My HDD are maxed out. I need to backup my data and install bigger HDD and then restore my opanalpr data. Can anyone please help me??
Not sure if I can post my email address or not.

Jamison

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm. I am thinking it would just be a matter of copying the installation folder, C:\OpenALPR\ . It contains the image database, too. Not sure if you are reinstalling Windows, and what effect that might have on their client product.

JaBu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm. I am thinking it would just be a matter of copying the installation folder, C:\OpenALPR\ . It contains the image database, too. Not sure if you are reinstalling Windows, and what effect that might have on their client product.
The OS is Ubuntu. I was told that OPENALPR data is stored in MYSQL. I'm running it on dell r510 with 8 drives. 2 drives raid 1 for the OS. The remaining drives two each for 3 spans.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have been using their cloud version then the data would be stored on their server, and the images only locally. Not sure of their other products. Maybe send them an email or a ticket asking for the best practice to maintain the data.

JaBu

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have been using their cloud version then the data would be stored on their server, and the images only locally. Not sure of their other products. Maybe send them an email or a ticket asking for the best practice to maintain the data.
NOT using cloud, I'm running a dell r510 server with ubuntu installed with OPENALPR running on-site.
Does anyone here know how to backup mysql and restore the database after a refresh?

JaBu

n3wb
Reaction score
NOT using cloud, I'm running a dell r510 server with ubuntu installed with OPENALPR running on-site.
Does anyone here know how to backup mysql and restore the database after a refresh?
I did contact them, they stated they do not offer support for that.

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
How about platerecognizer.com? I am using this with Blue Iris, and it is working pretty good.
I don't see it mentioned in this thread, any reason?

Reaction score
How about platerecognizer.com? I am using this with Blue Iris, and it is working pretty good.
I don't see it mentioned in this thread, any reason?
Why don't you start a thread to discuss this? I had never heard of it before. Went to the website you mentioned and it looks pretty good.

What is the cost? Could not find that info on their site. Does it build a database or do you get a text file of plates?

Any info you can relate would be welcomed.

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
I will see if I find any time to start a topic about it. I don't have many questions, but just wondered why it wasn't mentioned, but other products were mentioned.

I am using the free plan, and it works fine. I have it setup with blue iris.

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm just starting with LPR and if OpenALPR works as well as it appears, $5/month is reasonable. However, i would like to backup the data locally outside OpenALPR as I would like more than 5 days retention... anyone know how you do that? doesn't have to be in some fancy DB for searching.
[edit] found a csv export, but i want to automate the process.

Last edited: