OpenALPR without connection to the local network

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
I want to configure an LPR camera remotely. I don't want to have the OpenALPR client installed on a Windows computer connected to the network where the camera is. How can I do it?
I would like to have an IP camera with a 3G-4G connection and that OpenALPR takes the image directly from that camera. In the options to add a camera it only appears from a webcam, IP and video file. I cannot find the option to be able to enter the image from a 4G camera that is not connected to the local network.

Thanks.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not know if you mean an image generically for a video stream, but OpenALPR analyzes a video stream and not images sent when a camera is triggered. Would 3G be up to the task of 24/7 video streaming?

I would think it is simply a way to get the video stream into a format that you could pull up on another computer. Probably the setup within the camera itself (P2P, port forward, or some other insecure method), or play with options to send the stream to something like YouTube and pull from there?

If you are looking at analyzing images based on motion triggers, Plate Recognizer offers that service.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You would definitely need some back end programming logic that captures an image first and then sends that image only over the 3G/4G connection to the OpenALPR server for analysis unless you are really wanting to stream video 24x7 over cellular??

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
But OpenALPR does not allow to receive the image directly from a 4G camera. It only analyzes images that come from an IP (local network), webcam or a file. Those are the options that the Windows client gives me. I would like to have a software that could analyze the images that appear in the Chrome browser (for example). That way, I could access the camera remotely from the browser and analyze all the images that appear. That is not possible with some lpr software?

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not know if you mean an image generically for a video stream, but OpenALPR analyzes a video stream and not images sent when a camera is triggered. Would 3G be up to the task of 24/7 video streaming?

I would think it is simply a way to get the video stream into a format that you could pull up on another computer. Probably the setup within the camera itself, or play with options to send the stream to something like YouTube and pull from there?

If you are looking at analyzing images based on motion triggers, Plate Recognizer offers that service.
I want to broadcast live 24 hours and analyze everything in those 24 hours of video, but the windows computer where I installed OpenALPR is not on the same local network as the camera. I can access the camera image through a web browser (chrome) and I would like OpenALPR to analyze the images that appear in this browser. OpenALPR only allows me to analyze the images of an IP from the local network, webcam or file, and I do not have the client in that local network, it is in another city.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You simply need to figure out the RTSP URL. OpenALPR is only looking for an RTSP URL video stream. Simply select IP camera manual and key in the RTSP URL and it will work provided all the required security opening are created to see that feed.

Try to pull up the video stream in VLC as it will be easier to extract the RTSP URL from it than Chrome.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
But OpenALPR does not allow to receive the image directly from a 4G camera. It only analyzes images that come from an IP (local network), webcam or a file. Those are the options that the Windows client gives me. I would like to have a software that could analyze the images that appear in the Chrome browser (for example). That way, I could access the camera remotely from the browser and analyze all the images that appear. That is not possible with some lpr software?
You can only submit them .jpgs for analysis if you subscribe to their Commercial plan and their API. Otherwise, you are correct, you have to have the agent watching the stream 24x7x365.

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no problem having a 24x7 computer on with the client analyzing the video. The problem is how can I send OpenALPR the image that sends me, for example, the following camera:
34.86€ 20% de DESCUENTO|4G cámara IP 1080P 5MP HD 3G tarjeta Sim cámara de Metal Cámara WIFI para exteriores inalámbrico MINI CCTV P2P para coche APP CamHi|Cámaras de vigilancia| - AliExpress -411d-9771-e6d5e6cc65b1 & algo_expid = 6524a17f-be3b-411d-9771-e6d5e6cc65b1-9 & btsid = 0b0a187916191690257602332edde0 & ws_ab_test = searchweb0_b20160, searchweb201_0, searchweb201602

I am not connected to the local network with that camera, therefore, I do not have its local IP.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this a camera you control or not? If you don't have access to it and its associated RTSP stream, then you are out of luck without some programming wizardary to save and analyze the associated http(s) stream that you see in the browser.

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this a camera you control or not? If you don't have access to it and its associated RTSP stream, then you are out of luck without some programming wizardary to save and analyze the associated http(s) stream that you see in the browser.
Yeah, right. I have installed the camera and have access to it. But the RTSP link only works to display the image as long as you are on the same local network, right? I cannot see the image of that link if I am not connected to that local network. The computer with the OpenALPR client is not connected to the local network of the camera. This client is in another city.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You could use a VPN to connect to that remote network or port forward (shudder).

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
You could use a VPN to connect to that remote network or port forward (shudder).
Surely it is very simple for you, but I am new to this and it is difficult for me o_Oo_Oo_O. How could I analyze the image of this camera with OpenALPR:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can read plates from that? Please post a video stream showing that camera is capable of getting plates.

That looks like a small fixed lens camera and unless it is within 10 feet of the plates, it will not capture them. Although I know many countries have larger plates than the US, but that camera would never be suitable for plates here. And especially at night I doubt that has the capabilities to control parameters to capture plates.

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
Not that camera exactly. I looked for a camera with 4g technology just like the one I use. I just want to know how can I configure the camera and the OpenALPR client to integrate the image from that camera into the client.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried VLC to see if you can pull the video stream into it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But keep in mind plate reading or LPR is as much an art as it is a science.

Not every camera can provide a video that is of sufficient quality to be able to read plates, especially at night.

More MP isn't the answer and is actually going to make a problem worse trying to go through a 3G signal.

You need a camera with enough optical zoom to be able to make the plates large enough. And you need to be able to actually control the parameters in the camera like shutter speed.

Many places still use analog cameras for LPR.

2MP (1080P) is fine for LPR. In fact OpenALPR even says the preferred is 720P and can work with 480P.

Trying to find a 3G capable camera that also has the capabilities necessary to be used for plates may be an expensive, if not unrealistic expectation.

Try to find a way to pull the RTSP stream or throw an ASUS router on that system and OpenVPN back in to it. OpenVPN is free and comes standard on most ASUS routers.

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
My problem is not the camera technology. My problem is that the OpenALPR client is not on a computer within the camera's local network. I need to provide the image of a camera that is in another city and I don't know how to do it.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I've already said how to do it. You will have to setup a VPN between the two networks so you can or you can port forward on the router where the camera is attached the RTSP port only. Those are the only two methods you can use.

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
I've already said how to do it. You will have to setup a VPN between the two networks so you can or you can port forward on the router where the camera is attached the RTSP port only. Those are the only two methods you can use.
Thanks for your reply and patience. My problem is not connecting to the local network. My cameras are 3g-4g and they are not connected to any local network, I simply receive the images through an app. I don't know how to get the RTSP link from those cameras because they are not connected to any local network.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and patience. My problem is not connecting to the local network. My cameras are 3g-4g and they are not connected to any local network, I simply receive the images through an app. I don't know how to get the RTSP link from those cameras because they are not connected to any local network.
I don't see how you could make this work, simply because of the bandwidth costs. If you're receiving this stream continuously via a 3G or 4G cell network, you'll be using a minimum of several GB of data every day. That would be incredibly expensive over any cellular network.

You'd do far better purchasing and installing a dedicated ALPR camera and connecting it to a 3G or 4G modem. Let the camera process the video stream internally, and use the web interface to check the plate numbers that it has captured.

Last edited: