Opening Garage Door?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all I did a quick search for "garage door" and did not see anything so figured I would post and ask if anyone had any experience using a Hik cam to open/close garage door using alarm inputs? I read online that it can be done with other cam models (Foscam) so just curious if it can be done successfully (or if anyone has it currently hooked up specifically with a Hik).

Thanks....

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all I did a quick search for "garage door" and did not see anything so figured I would post and ask if anyone had any experience using a Hik cam to open/close garage door using alarm inputs? I read online that it can be done with other cam models (Foscam) so just curious if it can be done successfully (or if anyone has it currently hooked up specifically with a Hik).

Thanks....
What is it exactly you want to do with the camera hooked up to the garage door opener?

Did you want it to open/close when the alarm output is triggered? as in what would have to happen for the door to open/close.

or did you want to use it more like a remote opener/closer?

If you want to open/close remotely instead of using that gogomajiggy and can tinker round an arduino with a GSM shield works wonders, or even over the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
What is it exactly you want to do with the camera hooked up to the garage door opener?

Did you want it to open/close when the alarm output is triggered? as in what would have to happen for the door to open/close.

or did you want to use it more like a remote opener/closer?

If you want to open/close remotely instead of using that gogomajiggy and can tinker round an arduino with a GSM shield works wonders, or even over the internet.
MajiggyGate, sounds like a scandal. To use a camera with it there is a fee, there are other automation products or just get camera with dio. I would stay away from tinkeling, unless you like tinkeling around a lot.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To answer the question about what I am trying to accomplish...use the alarm output from cam to trigger the opening / closing of the door.

I am kind of surprised no one has explored the possibility of this especially since you can use existing equipment.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's definately a fairly simple hookup, it can get more complex depending on the actual motor part. As some use the same command to open/close while some need a seprate open and seprate close signal.

The reason why I don't believe many people have dug into this is because I don't see how it is useful in a security sense. Unless you plan to use it more like a automatic garage door opener.

Cause in a security sense it's a bit interesting. Someone breaks in through a window camera see's them opens door.

- - - Updated - - -

It's definately a fairly simple hookup, it can get more complex depending on the actual motor part. As some use the same command to open/close while some need a seprate open and seprate close signal.

The reason why I don't believe many people have dug into this is because I don't see how it is useful in a security sense. Unless you plan to use it more like a automatic garage door opener.

Cause in a security sense it's a bit interesting. Someone breaks in through a window camera see's them opens door.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I would use just for the purpose of an automatic open / closing deal (remotely).

I was just trying to figure out if someone knew if hiks made cams with alarm outputs (I'm sure they do) and how the voltage would correspond to that of the garage door opener. Don't want to burn anything up...lol

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ohh right, I get you now.

They do make cams with alarm outputs, I do have one here that I is not installed yet. I will whip out the multi-meter now and see how the alarm output reacts.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I can see it's a electronic output so no relay.

Without motion, output floats about +0.5v then when motion is detected it is pulled low (19.3mV).

This is where a cheap PIR is more versatile (has relay outputs with N.C. and N.O. contacts) also would not be susceptible to bugs (especially spiders) triggering the output.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one customer that I hooked up the Dahua nvr alarm output to his garage door and he has a camera that can see if the door is open or not. He just opens IDMSS and clicks on alarm outputs. Than he triggers it and the garage door opens or closes.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^If I'm not mistaken the Dahua and I think Hikvision NVR alarm outputs use a switched output from a relay rather than a low logic level switch.

I think this demonstration here is using the alarm output on the NVR.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
vector18 or michelin man-

Just wanted to follow up and explain that I did some more digging on the specifics of my particular cam and this is what I read in the owners manual. I am by no means an electrical expert so I was just curious which DIO terminal to use for the +5V DC power to go to the garage door opener?

The cam has (2) DIO terminals. In the manual, DIO PW says "Electrically connected in parallel with the connector for the power supply, this pin provides an auxiliary connector for mains power to the unit. This pin can also be used to power auxiliary equipment, with a maximum current of 100mA." (Voltage: 12V DC, Max: 1.2W)

And DO says "(Transistor Output)
Uses an open-collector NPN transistor with the emitter connected to the GND pin. If used with an external relay, a diode must be connected in parallel with the load, for protection against transient voltages." (Max Load = <100mA Max voltage = 24V DC (to the transistor)

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr....just wanted to re-post this thread in hopes that you may be able to offer a solution due to you doing a decent amount of "home automation" in your current setup? Any ideas on how I can get an IP cam w/alarm outputs or some other type of relay module to work for this specific task?

Any feedback / advice would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sure, just wire it up to the momentary switch you push to open/close the door on the inside.. my OpenSprinkler had an extra relay on it, I just tapped it inline with the push button.. now I just have the relay activate for a second to simulate pushing the button.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sure, just wire it up to the momentary switch you push to open/close the door on the inside.. my OpenSprinkler had an extra relay on it, I just tapped it inline with the push button.. now I just have the relay activate for a second to simulate pushing the button.
Should I "tap" into the wires leading to the push button on the wall or connect straight to the terminal block on the back of the opener on the ceiling (or it doesn't really matter)? And I assume we are saying to just get an IP cam with outputs and go directly to the opener...no need to put in a relay of any sorts I guess?

Sorry for the stupid questions but this is not something I normally do so all kind of new to me!

Thanks....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you still probably want the the momentary button for manual opening/closing.. so you'd tap into it.. where dont matter, all you need to do is short the contacts together temporarily to trigger the button.. it can be on the far side or near side, wont make a lick of difference.

depends on the camera, but most have an internal relay used for the alarm output and adding an external relay would just be redundant..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you still probably want the the momentary button for manual opening/closing.. so you'd tap into it.. where dont matter, all you need to do is short the contacts together temporarily to trigger the button.. it can be on the far side or near side, wont make a lick of difference.

depends on the camera, but most have an internal relay used for the alarm output and adding an external relay would just be redundant..
One caveat, Chamberlain/Craftsman openers newer than 2013 (iirc) no longer work with a doorbell type button. They use some type of serial communication.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One caveat, Chamberlain/Craftsman openers newer than 2013 (iirc) no longer work with a doorbell type button. They use some type of serial communication.
My opener is 10 years old so I assume it is the older technology and not the serial communication you speak of:)

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to keep harping on this...but any ideas on specific cameras to use or any in your opinion with Alarm I/O connections? Didn't know if you were aware of the voltage or anything...don't necessarily want to blow up the board on my opener from trying to pass through to many volts!