OpenVPN Asus RT-AX86U does not work

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I do not see them. I do see them when direct connect but not via VPN.
Hmmm... You should. They should be getting a DHCP address within whatever pool you have set up. That might just be something with how Asus shows them though. I remember that being kind of flaky sometimes.

Do you have anything other than the router that you can try to connect to within your network? Other than the NVR.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what it should look like. Check yours to see if it's similar.

Nothing connected via OpenVPN but VPN server verified as running.

1705548998868.png

Cell phone connected via OpenVPN through home network (WiFi) === VPN not needed when at home

1705549370663.png

Cell phone connect via OpenVPN through cell tower (WiFi turned off)

1705549156772.png

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
OK. It is clear your phone is connecting to the VPN service while local or remote. This is good because it confirms the VPN is working.

At this point, I think we can safely say it is NOT a VPN issue - especially if the NVR has a local address on the 192.168.1.X network. I still feel like it is an issue/security measure with the NVR itself. The "tunnel" network that the VPN service is creating is the 10.8.0.X network. The network address of 10.8.0.2 is the network address that your cell phone traffic is going to appear as coming from. This means that the NVR will see a request/data coming in from 10.8.0.2 and not a local address on the 192.168.1.X network. Again, if there is some security setting in the NVR that limits outside connections, that is likely what is preventing the phone from communicating with the NVR.

Long story short, I think we need to start looking into the NVR settings to see if we can solve the problem.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree
And because the IP of the device connected via VPN is being assigned an IP by the router of 10.8.0.x (verified) I wonder if he has under "security", his NVR Firewall/Network Access enabled. If he does and he has "trusted Sites" checked and has any entry there, it is limiting what can connect to the NVR. Anything else would be flat rejected and not allow you to get to the NVR interface.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The router shows the VPN address in that screen. The NVR doesn't see the 10.x.x.x address. From its perspective (and that of other local devices), he also should have a 192.168.x.x address on the internal network that's assigned by DHCP (could be static if you wanted but that's not been done here). That's what will be used locally beyond the router.

I'd agree that the issue likely is at the NVR but that's what I was trying to check when asking about seeing a local 192.168.x.x address and if any other local device could be accessed. You may be able to access the router since it has a direct path on the same device with the 10.x.x.x address. But if no local address and/or you can't hit anything else, then it's not getting a local 192.168.x.x address as it needs or otherwise isn't able to get out of the router. If you can access some other device, then that should be good and it must be the NVR itself or how you're trying to access it more specifically.

^ That's wrong.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
NVR sees the 10.8.0.X user

loggedin-VPNuser.jpg vpn-loggedin.jpg

And if he has this enabled, and likely would have a local LAN IP there.....NVR would bounce anything else including the VPN user
Firewall-1.jpg

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I just looked at mine in BI and was coming back to correct that. And I think you're probably right about that as the reason.

BruceWayne007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I just looked at mine in BI and was coming back to correct that. And I think you're probably right about that as the reason.
Well, I thought I was right about the last 5 reasons so not holding my breath.... :lmao:
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Alrighty, I think we can agree the iPhone is connecting to my Asus Router using OpenVPN. Look at the circle with the key and the same circle with the blue dot. When I hover over the key circle I get a question mark and a box with Connected pops up. If I click on the key circle I get the Client status - 1 pop up.

I think we should pick apart the NVR configuration.

Attachments

BruceWayne007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am ready to pick apart the NVR configuration or try WireGuard VPN?

I have changed some of the NVR ports and I still cannot connect with OpenVPN.

Attachments

BruceWayne007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK. It is clear your phone is connecting to the VPN service while local or remote. This is good because it confirms the VPN is working.

At this point, I think we can safely say it is NOT a VPN issue - especially if the NVR has a local address on the 192.168.1.X network. I still feel like it is an issue/security measure with the NVR itself. The "tunnel" network that the VPN service is creating is the 10.8.0.X network. The network address of 10.8.0.2 is the network address that your cell phone traffic is going to appear as coming from. This means that the NVR will see a request/data coming in from 10.8.0.2 and not a local address on the 192.168.1.X network. Again, if there is some security setting in the NVR that limits outside connections, that is likely what is preventing the phone from communicating with the NVR.

Long story short, I think we need to start looking into the NVR settings to see if we can solve the problem.
Agree
And because the IP of the device connected via VPN is being assigned an IP by the router of 10.8.0.x (verified) I wonder if he has under "security", his NVR Firewall/Network Access enabled. If he does and he has "trusted Sites" checked and has any entry there, it is limiting what can connect to the NVR. Anything else would be flat rejected and not allow you to get to the NVR interface.
I apologize, I thought I read through all my missed posts. Is this what you are asking for?

Attachments

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bruce, I have Windows 10, the smallest iPhone, a Dahua 4-channel NVR and an ASUS RT-AX86U. I enabled OpenVPN in the router and have the corresponding client certificate installed on my iPhone and a No-IP DDNS account tied-in to my router. It ‘s been two years now and no issues watching my cameras via the phone so far EXCEPT having to re-validate my free DDNS from time to time.