opinion about these Axis camera choices for me

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
I need your help. I will install a surveillance system in my home this spring. I'm wading through the thousands of choices of cameras and nvrs, and I'm leaning toward Axis cameras. I know little about the various brands, but Axis seems to be the "standard of measure". That appeals to me. I know I can buy cheaper cameras. Not interested in cheap. Don't want to do this project twice. The Synology NVR216 is on my short list, and Synology uses Axis cameras for their lab benchmarks and testing.

My priorities, in order, are:

1) Quality and durability of build
2) Image quality
3) Interchangeability with other NVRs
4) Support

I'm considering the M3006-V for inside, and M3026-VE for outside. 8-9 cameras total, probably 6 outside, 3 inside.

I'm concerned about the picture at night. I see the M3026 has IR capability, but not the M3006? Is the 3006 only for installation where areas are always lit? If I need a good night picture inside, do I need to use M3026 there as well?

What OTHER issues should I be concerned about?

thanks so much for your help

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Money must be not an issue here if you are ok with $500 per cam, in that case check out Hikvision darkfighter series from Hikvision it will crush these overpriced Axis cams at night.

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. I will look into that series. I live in Texas. If anyone can recommended an online source, it would be much appreciated.

FWIW, money is ALWAYS important. But some projects I don't wish to do twice. The more I read in forums, it seems that lots of people are on their second or third set of cameras. I only wish to buy one set.

Would still appreciate more feedback from others too.

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
I did look at Hikvision more closely, and have identified this camera to seriously consider in all three of the focal lengths offered: DS-2CD2142FWD-IS. Thanks for suggesting that I take another look at Hikvision.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You seem to be sold on dome cameras. There are much better options if night vision is a big concern. Take a look at Hikvision turrets.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I have Axis P3364VE Lightfinders and a Hik 4526FWD-IZ and a few others around my place. Axis was awesome 5 years ago. Now, I'd put my money into more Darkfighters. Possibly domes if being used with external illuminators or definitely bullets if not. I have my internal IR turned off on my 4526 domes. If the domes aren't tucked in under a good eave then definitely bullets or a turret of some kind. If you go with a Hik with 1/3" sensor then definitely add external IR. Dahua is putting out better stuff for night now too though. I'm considering adding a Dahua or two to my mix.

Frazier

n3wb
Reaction score
I read your original post, TDHG566, and the information that others provided. I am in exactly the position you are in; Looking for high quality, outdoor PTZ camera. I was wondering if you have purchased yet and if so, what did you choose?

I intend to mount the camera on the soffit at a corner so that I can see two sides of the house. I live adjacent to a lot of open space so I'd also like to use the camera for viewing the wildlife and the mountains in case this requirement changes the recommendation. I currently have a very old Sony SNC-RZ30N and it is a great camera but it is only 640 X 480.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua Black face PTZ, it can look up a few degrees so its great for viewing wildlife/weather/mountains.. Very High quality, search the forums for more info

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
I read your original post, TDHG566, and the information that others provided. I am in exactly the position you are in; Looking for high quality, outdoor PTZ camera. I was wondering if you have purchased yet and if so, what did you choose?

I intend to mount the camera on the soffit at a corner so that I can see two sides of the house. I live adjacent to a lot of open space so I'd also like to use the camera for viewing the wildlife and the mountains in case this requirement changes the recommendation. I currently have a very old Sony SNC-RZ30N and it is a great camera but it is only 640 X 480.
Hi Frazier. Thank you for your question. Glad to contribute something back to the forum. After much thought and reading and comparison of specs and prices, and due in no small part to earlier posts in this thread, I decided to buy Hikvision cameras, the 2142 series. They are not PTZ, but I think there's a PTZ camera in the same series. May just be a vari-focal. At least I've made a mental note to look at it later this year. The 2142s come in 2.8mm, 4mm and 6mm. I bought two to evaluate, meaning I'm trying to decide which focal length goes where. Where my house sits and it's shape give me a lot of non-right angles to deal with. I have a 6mm mounted outside, on a soffit watching the driveway. Other is still inside until I can get back up into the attic. I first connected them to Blue Iris, which worked fine, but I don't have enough CPU on my Windows machine to run more than 2 cameras. Had to get more horsepower. I now have them connected to a Synology NAS running Surveillance Station. Synology just, within the last few days, came out with native support for the 2142s. They worked great with a ONVIF connection, but I'm hoping native support is even better and I can move motion detection to the camera so I can attach more than 8 cameras to the NAS (Synology tech said that at my resolution and frame rate that's about the max I can expect). Anyway, I'm very pleased with the 2142s, and the Synology NAS. Let me know if I can be any more help.