Opinion or experience on this compact dome PTZ for my front door.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am searching for a PTZ for the front door of my house but I don't like the looks of hanging bullet or speed dome types. They have this 'big brother' look that says I'm watching you. I'm replacing a fixed dome on the wall and I like the look that is a little inconspicuous.

Anyways, this is the only cam I can find that fits my criteria:

http://www.securitycameraking.com/IPPTZ-EL2L4X.html

IPPTZ-EL2L4X Specifications
Megapixels:
2MP
Image Sensor:1/2.7” CMOS
Lens:2.7mm~11mm
Minimum Illumination:Color: 0.05Lux@F1.6; B/W: 0.005Lux@F1.6
LEDs:N/A
IR Distance:N/A
OSDN/A
Protocol:ONVIF Profile S
Pan Rotation:0° ~ 355°
Tilt:0° ~ 90°
Touring:8
Operating Temperature:-22°F to +140°F
Dimension: 7in x 7in x 6in
Power:DC12V, POE

I think it's a Dahua but not sure. Will Dahua cam work on an LTS NVR? This cam says Onvif Profile S, my NVR says Onvif 2.4 so I don't know if it's compatible.

At $250 it's about 1.5 times the cheapest bullet and speed dome PTZ on Alie, but this cam would work out better for me if it's good.

Anyone have experience with this company or their cameras?

Thanks.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It does look Dahua to me and specs are decent except there are no IRs. I had other Dahua cam briefly and it worked fine with Hikvision NVR, but I can't comment whether Ptz controls and motion detection is supported.

Last edited by a moderator:

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IR is not a problem for me as I have enough ambient light at my front door and I also have another camera with matrix IR pointing in the same general direction.

Will Onvif Profile S works on NVR that support Onvif 2.4?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I think OP wanted less conspicuous camera, that PTZ appears bigger, but addition of microphone and IR is a plus.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the camera is going to be mounted where it would be protected from the elements, I'd probably consider this Dahua...
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9163-Dahua-Mini-Black-Face-PTZ-(SD29204S-GN)

If it were IP66 rated I'd probably already have ordered one.
Thanks digger but that camera is still going to make my guests feel like they're being watch. I think I found something on Aliexpress with a plastic dome and it's from Hikvision for around $150 so hopefully it'll be plug n play for my NVR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks digger but that camera is still going to make my guests feel like they're being watch. I think I found something on Aliexpress with a plastic dome and it's from Hikvision for around $150 so hopefully it'll be plug n play for my NVR.
its smaller and more discrete than that dome you just linked.. it was a concern for me too, and nobody notices it... my previous front door cam did not have IR, and because of that it was damn near worthless at night.

Attachments

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think this cam is the same as the one I linked in my first post. It's over $100 less though.
Well your link is probably authorized reseller with non hacked firmware.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is a dahua, not a hikvision.. firmware is not hacked, because its not locked.. nor are they restricted to authorized resellers..

Dahua is just an OEM like hikvision, so a retail version is still required if you want warranty and/or support.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its smaller and more discrete than that dome you just linked.. it was a concern for me too, and nobody notices it... my previous front door cam did not have IR, and because of that it was damn near worthless at night.
Thanks for the photo. However, yours is installed on the ceiling. I will have mine install on the wall at about 7' high so it will be at the edge of most people's FOV vision when they are standing at the door.

Do you have any ambient light at the door with the cam that you said was useless at night? I have a couple of hanging lights on either sides of the spot where I'll mount the PTZ. They each put out about the same amount of light as an indoor night light. I will also have a turret install at the corner of the house about 30' to the side of the front door. The turret's Matrix IR will be pointing towards the front lawn, which is the general area of where this PTZ will be pointing. I wonder if that will be enough light.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this is a dahua, not a hikvision.. firmware is not hacked, because its not locked.. nor are they restricted to authorized resellers..

Dahua is just an OEM like hikvision, so a retail version is still required if you want warranty and/or support.
So Dahua's cameras have the same firmware doesn't matter if I buy them from a US authorized sellers or from any seller on Ali?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@D!ngo, correct..

I had a f'n ton of visible light for my old PTZ w/out IR and it was still worthless.. its almost too much light for this dahua.. that one your looking at might do better, but it could still need IR spotlights.

if your wanting to mount that dome vertically against the wall I dont know how well tha'll work, Ive not had much luck with installing cameras like that.. especially PTZ's, you have to flip/mirror the image and the controls are illogical.. if you install it from roof and pan from left to right it'll follow the horizon, if you install it on a wall and pan from left to right it'll look at the ground and go against the horizon.. kinda sucks, so either camera your going to need to come out with an angled wall mount.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@D!ngo, correct..

if your wanting to mount that dome vertically against the wall I dont know how well tha'll work, Ive not had much luck with installing cameras like that.. especially PTZ's, you have to flip/mirror the image and the controls are illogical.. if you install it from roof and pan from left to right it'll follow the horizon, if you install it on a wall and pan from left to right it'll look at the ground and go against the horizon.. kinda sucks, so either camera your going to need to come out with an angled wall mount.
Good point. I hadn't think about the functionality issues of mounting it vertically. I did have to flip the camera module on my analog dome to get it to work vertically. I would imagine with pan and tilt it'll won't be that easy.