Optimize remote cameras over VPN

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am building a second Blue Iris server for a vacation home. The house has a low bandwidth WISP connection so I am looking for tips to optimize a sub stream from the cameras as a backup recording to my primary BI server in case the local BI server is compromised.

Basic setup is a mini PC at the vacation house, MSI CUBI 2 plus with a i5 7400T running windows 10 and BI to record a few 4mp cams, 2 to start with. It has a wireless connection to the router provided by the WISP which I do not have a password to. The CUBI 2 has hyper V installed and a small pfsense VM running to provide a open VPN connection between the POE cameras and my primary home network. The VPN is already working but it will be a few months before everything is moved to the vacation house and installed.

The cameras are Hikvision DS-2CD3345 4MP and the sub stream is currently set to 640x480, VBR, 2FPS, 128Kbps max bitrate, H.265, I Frame 4 which is resulting in a 2-2.5kB per camera stream during testing. I have to keep bandwidth low to have any chance of this working. Any other tips to make this work smoothly with a not so great high latency low bandwidth WISP?