Options for Termination Cables

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have any experience terminating cables. I'm most likely going with cat6 cable for the 23awg vs cat5e's 24awg. Here: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023401&p_id=8104&seq=1&format=2

I was looking at these connectors, but the reviews don't seem very good.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051305&p_id=7266&seq=1&format=2

If I purchased those monoprice connectors, I assume I would need a crimper like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV226-107-Compact-Ratcheting/dp/B00F6K5SY2?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=ipctk-20

Alternatively, I searched through some posts here talking about the Platinum EZ Crimper and Connectors. The Platinum options is a lot more expensive. The crimper alone is almost $75.

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-100054C-Clamshell-EZ-RJPRO/dp/B00939KFOU/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NVN8FCNPD0KEKHGFRHMB

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-100010C-Connectors-Clamshell/dp/B000FI9VU2/ref=pd_bxgy_469_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3RDWF5Q0WEHXJ2TM6EG0

What do you recommend? I don't mind learning the old fashion way, but what are a quality connectors? And boots? Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have any experience terminating cables. I'm most likely going with cat6 cable for the 23awg vs cat5e's 24awg. Here: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023401&p_id=8104&seq=1&format=2

I was looking at these connectors, but the reviews don't seem very good.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051305&p_id=7266&seq=1&format=2
You're overthinking this. You probably probably aren't doing that many connections, if you were going to be doing hundreds of these spending more would make more sense.

You'll only use RJ-45 plugs on the camera side. On the other end of the cable use a patch panel.

As long as you use connectors rated for the type of cable you've got you'll be fine (solid/stranded, 5e/6).

The plugs and crimpers vary some. There are 3 main styles of RJ45 plug:
1. one piece
2. open ended one piece
3. multi piece / with inserts

With the oldest one piece style it was easy to have wires move on you as you pushed it together and hard to see if the wires were in the right spots. With good technique and some practice this won't happen very often. These other types of connectors exist to reduce the odds of a crimping error. By placing the wires in a small insert before the plug you can easily keep them in the right position. The platinum one's you linked have holes for the individual wires so you you can verify wire placement and don't have to cut the wires first. Either of these modern styles is easier for a novice to use than the old style. You can use a flush cutter with the platinum ones instead of their crimper. The multi piece ones can be a real pain up on a ladder. Make sure you leave yourself at least a foot or two of extra cable on each end.

Boots aren't a bad idea, but aren't necessary if you do boots use one that fits into the plug before crimping. You can squirt a little silicone caulk into the connector if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point. I'm mostly likely only going to be making a handful of terminations, but not ever having done one before, is it possible to do this without a special tool?

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can make due with the cheap crimpers that cost less than $10. It should easily be good for a few dozen crimps. You would also use the cheap closed ended jacks. Yeah, the closed ended jacks are harder to use, but it doesn't require an expensive special crimper. You should only need to crimp connectors on the end of the cables at the cameras. If you have a data closet, you would have a patch panel where the cable is punched down, which might be a tool less style. Even if you have a standard punch down, you can make due with a small screwdriver to push the wire on, and a knife to cut the extra wire. Then you just buy pre-made patch cables.

dalepa

Reaction score
This set more affordable, specially if you just going use use it a few time. The snips and tester is worth the price alone.

I do like the insert connectors, they are easier on my eyes.

712dwd5L4EL._SL1022_.jpg

Attachments

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can make due with the cheap crimpers that cost less than $10. It should easily be good for a few dozen crimps. You would also use the cheap closed ended jacks. Yeah, the closed ended jacks are harder to use, but it doesn't require an expensive special crimper. You should only need to crimp connectors on the end of the cables at the cameras. If you have a data closet, you would have a patch panel where the cable is punched down, which might be a tool less style. Even if you have a standard punch down, you can make due with a small screwdriver to push the wire on, and a knife to cut the extra wire. Then you just buy pre-made patch cables.
Would these be the correct closed end jacks for cat6?
http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/7245?maincategoryid=105&categoryid=10513&subcategoryid=1051305&cpncd=

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This set more affordable, specially if you just going use use it a few time. The snips and tester is worth the price alone.

I do like the insert connectors, they are easier on my eyes.

View attachment 11568
Interesting and not a bad price at all for a kit. Would this work for cat6 though?

Edit: just read the details. Looks like it will work for cat6. Do you have personal experience with this kit? A bunch of reviews say the crimper tool is horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting and not a bad price at all for a kit. Would this work for cat6 though?

Edit: just read the details. Looks like it will work for cat6. Do you have personal experience with this kit? A bunch of reviews say the crimper tool is horrible.
That's a pretty good price for all those tools, but the quality won't be amazing. If the included RJ-45 plugs don't work great with your cat-6, but buy some different plugs.

I've used plenty of <$20 crimpers without issue. It just takes some practice. If you don't squeeze hard enough or don't keep the wires into the end of the plug you'll get a loose unreliable connection. If you squeeze too hard especially with cheap rj-45 plugs, you can actually damage them. The ratcheting ones can help with this some.

DIY patch cables prone to movement are common points of failure (as suggested by others, buy your patch cables). Crimps on something like a camera where the cable isn't moved / bumped are more reliable.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've put in keystone Jacks on the camera end and a small patch cable. I know many here would advise against it but it's quick and reliable. Plus if I have to move the camera or the customer.has to.move it they just need a new cable, not a big deal. Good enough for our pcs so I think it will work with cameras :)

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just started doing my own, tired of premade too long, too short etc.
home depot cat6 500 feet 80 bucks usa made
klein crimpers with cutter ratchet action 30 bucks
ideal cat 6 3 piece connector 20 bucks
tester for continuity 30 bucks
rough numbers but about 150 bucks.

what i learned-
the newer cat 6 does not hav the plastic seperator in middle.
many how to vids are older so my best vid was this one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAdO-ibGGs0
that video to me is the best and explains the poor reviews and difficulty. I am confident its really cat6 compliant..not saying it wont work but i got pretty good after doing twice.

hope this helps.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just started doing my own, tired of premade too long, too short etc.
home depot cat6 500 feet 80 bucks usa made
klein crimpers with cutter ratchet action 30 bucks
ideal cat 6 3 piece connector 20 bucks
tester for continuity 30 bucks
rough numbers but about 150 bucks.

what i learned-
the newer cat 6 does not hav the plastic seperator in middle.
many how to vids are older so my best vid was this one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAdO-ibGGs0
that video to me is the best and explains the poor reviews and difficulty. I am confident its really cat6 compliant..not saying it wont work but i got pretty good after doing twice.

hope this helps.
Most people here will tell you to buy patch cables. Homemade patch cables are failure prone and bad network cables can be a PITA to diagnose. For in wall use solid cable is recommended. For patch cables stranded cable is recommended. Patch cables a subject to more movement heavier solid cables are easier to kink/break/short and they pull on the rj-45 connector more leading to failures. You may need different modular plugs for stranded cable.

Patch cables are so cheap and available in so many lengths from places like monoprice most of us don't bother making them. Use patch panels!

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree except for some, not to mention learning it is helpful.
other reasons i did this,
- smaller hole in house to mount my v2 huisan, 5/16 compared to much larger hole with jacks on well hidden under siding
- allows using the weathertite connectors prior to putting jack on
- agree monoprice or amazon but i want it now and dont have to measure
- local stores suck and are over priced
- dont have to leave the house
- like to learn a new skill
- tester for continuity checks out.. Don't have expensive meter though to test.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agree except for some, not to mention learning it is helpful.
other reasons i did this,
- smaller hole in house to mount my v2 huisan, 5/16 compared to much larger hole with jacks on well hidden under siding
- allows using the weathertite connectors prior to putting jack on
- agree monoprice or amazon but i want it now and dont have to measure
I think you misunderstood me, RJ-45 plugs that you crimp yourself are appropriate to use for termination at the camera.
On the other end of the cable in your network closet use a patch panel.

DIY patch cables in your network closet or between wall jacks in your house and your computer/tv/etc are very prone to failure for the reasons mentioned above.

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, i dont have patch panel.
i run all to router and or switches direct.

any good links to look for a patch panel recommended? Or just leae as i have it..

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It really depends on the size of your installation. If it's just a few cameras, don't worry about the patch panel.

But a patch panel will make the installation neater, which really starts to matter as the number of connections increases. There are tons of patch panel options from a few ports to hundreds. Check out DeepSurplus.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, i dont have patch panel.
i run all to router and or switches direct.

any good links to look for a patch panel recommended? Or just leave as i have it..
I agree depends on size. what i'd probably do is reterminate to a patch panel when the cables fail.

Something like this is a decent option if you want to keep it basic and don't have a rack: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7304