Optiplex 3050 SFF for blue iris

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by runner, Nov 14, 2017.

Share This Page

1. runner

runner n3wb

I’ve got an Optiplex 3050 Small Form Factor coming my way that I got on the cheap. I5-7500, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd. But looking at it I’m not sure it fits an additional 3.5 drive. Anybody know if it does? If not should I just replace the ssd with a large purple drive. Or just attach an external drive and keep the ssd.

2. Mike A.

Mike A. Pulling my weight

Specifications:
    HDD (hard disk drive)
    One 3.5" HDD
    Two 2.5" HDD

I have the 7010 which is set up in the same way. In the cage there's room for either (1) 3.5" drive mounted alone or (2) 2.5" drives which mount piggybacked in a drive adapter. There is enough room in the case otherwise though and I've seen people mount SSDs elsewhere inside with Velcro, etc. If I remember right there's an extra SATA connection available. Don't recall for sure whether there's an extra power cable but I'm thinking not. One can be split with an adapter. You also can just pull the DVD and cables if you want. I'd keep it as an OS drive and add another for storage myself.

3. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

If the SSD is taking up the only drive bay, you can just mount it anywhere with tape (make sure you don't block airflow though).