Oudoor light pole camera mount

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to mount 2 to 3 cameras to a tall square metal light pole out in a parking lot. Luckily its right next to the only main entrance into the parking lot so I was hoping to mount an ip camera lower on the pole with 2 PTZ or fixed cameras towards the top hooked up to an outdoor enclosure that would house a poe switch powering a wifi bridge and the cameras.

I have an electrician to mount an electrical box or conduit to pipe straight into the outdoor enclosure. Money is not really too much of an object but of course the owner will want to keep it reasonable.

Any ideas?

I am gong to install cameras with microsd ports in case the wifi signal goes down temporarily to ensure I don't miss anything

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not worries as much about the cameras as I am the enclosure. I wanted an enclosure that had a vent and power running to it. Also would like a couple spots for 1/2 inch conduit so I can mount a camera to a box then run conduit to the wap enclosure. Obviously needed a place to hide the pigtails. I didnt measure the pole but I wanted to use a universal or pole mount for the ptz

Next step is finding a camera for the license plate portion. I would like to try to keep it reasonable unless I know for sure it will work. I was going to get a varifocal bulet from dahua and if that doesn't work then I'll try a different brand like acti or axis.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-57095-Sprinkler-Weather-Resistant-Outdoor-Mounted/dp/B000VYGMF2/

Personally I'd go for a metal enclosure with a lock on it, but those get very costly and need external antennas.

here is a box I found at home depot, they have larger ones and you'd have to wire an outlet.. but im sure you could fit a small switch and power outlet with DC power supply.. I'd try to find a switch and wifi that ran off 12v so you only needed one decent size power supply for the cameras, switch and wifi.. id also shoot for outdoor 5GHz 802.11n/ac bridges w/directional antennas so you have a good solid 100Mbps link for all those cameras.

Dont forget to ground everything well, hopefully the pole is well grounded its self.. a metal enclosure will make it easy to ground the switch and power supply within.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought about that box nayr when I was looking at this project. I may go with the Ubiquiti loco 5 since it's pretty much a direct line of site of under 100 feet

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there not water tight, but they will breathe and if painted white wouldn't get too hot inside hopefully.. I think one of those mini 5 port switches mounted high on the back side would stay dry, it would be pretty easy to silicon the few small gaps closed but they wont let water in unless you get hit by a hurricane or a really horrible thunderstorm.. and if you sealed the mounting holes I dont think very much would get in, and any that did would drain right out without problem and not trap the moisture inside.

inside the box is a line printed saying to mount all devices higher than that line to maintain weather resistance.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I planned on just using a small tp link poe switch. Probably will have to power the ptz cameras off of another box higher up the pole. I fear this may be a pain in the ass but hopefully worth it.

I'm looking at some ip box cameras so I can get a longer zoom if needed with a better lens

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah dont spend more money than it costs to rent a trencher and patch some asphalt.. :)

with this much money in cameras hanging off this single pole it might be worthwhile to lay some data conduit to that pole and be done with it.. might be able to outsource that task for not much more than the wireless bridges and all the hardware and enclosures if its a mere 100ft.. Dirt Surgeons dont cost that much money to hire and next time they get the lot resurfaced there wont be any signs left.. if the lot needs a resurfaced soon this could be an easy sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well that would be ideal but I'm sure the asphalt idea would be quite a bit more and the only viable place to run the conduit is on the second story. Owner doesn't want conduit on outside of building at all

Probably wold be around a 1000 for the mini ptz and box ip camera

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would rather do conduit also since it would be more reliable

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Going to do some measurements of my switch and such to make sure they will fit in the box. I will try the metal.band idea to see if it will fit on the pole. I got the black face dahua along with 2 nanostation ubiquiti bridges. Hope the black face will be able to read plates at such small distance but we will see. If not they will have a nice ptz camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can read plates dead on with HLC enabled on my blackface dahua.. from a pretty good distance with 12x, at least 100ft.

but its useless for anything else at night in this configuration.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Works for me. I'm gonna have a fixed bullet mounted above it to covet the rest