Outdoor Cam using a ton of space

flyboy68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using 2 IPC-HDW2231R-ZS starlight outdoor cam's recording continuous. I have the clips set to 4 hrs before creating a new clip. With little to no activity the 4 hr clip is usually around 6 gb each. My indoor cameras average around 3-5 gb w/ a lot of activity. All cameras are 1080p, is this normal? Indoor cameras are amcrest and foscam. Maybe just a picture quality difference?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My 2 MP 1920x1080 camera running at 15 frames per second with h.264 will use about +2GB per hour. The size of the data depends on frame rate, quality, iframe value, complexity of the image, motion. Motion can be cause by the wind, shadows, sunlight clouds. Outside has a lot more color differences than inside.

I would say 6GB for 4 hours is a good outside number.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Outside, generally, has more "activity" or motion in the form of things moving from the wind or lighting changes. That uses more space, no way around it I have an semi-outdoor camera mounted in an open shed, 2MP, 10FPS. It usually runs at about half the bit rate or a true "outdoor" camera unless I'm in the shed moving around. Then it runs at about the same rate as the "outdoor" cameras. I would suggest reducing the clips to one hour. That makes it much easier when it becomes necessary to review clips.