Outdoor camera placement / power questions

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all-

I've got a spot where I'd like to place a new outdoor camera. Ideally something relatively low profile, like a mini-dome camera. There happens to be an electrical junction box mounted right near where I'd like to place the camera (single gang box with a plate over it, probably was a light a one point, or maybe a convenience outlet?). I've got wired PoE links to all my other (hikvision) cameras, but in this case I'd be fine with WiFi if needed.

Any clever suggestions for a clever way to utilize the 110V that I have available in that outlet to power the camera? Hikvision cameras seem to have PoE or 12V power options. This is a conspicuous spot (near front door), so I don't want to have a power wart or adapter showing, this would likely need to be something that sits inside the box, with the camera mounted on the box, or just nearby. Also this needs to be outdoor rated which makes it a bi more challenging...

I couldn't find anything myself ... any ideas for a way to get a camera into this spot? (short of running a new Cat6 wire, which would be a pain based on the location unfortunately).

Thanks in advance!

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can find where that wire is inside the basement and isolate it (and be sure it doesn't feed anything else) you could put a 12v power supply there.

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
If you can find where that wire is inside the basement and isolate it (and be sure it doesn't feed anything else) you could put a 12v power supply there.
unfortunately it's live and feeds other circuits so I can't repurpose it as a 12V power source...

Reaction score
Post a pic of it. Both with the blank cover removed and installed. Could you possibly change out the box for something bigger? Something that you could mount a regular 110v outlet inside and use the wall wort inside that new box out of view?

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
Post a pic of it. Both with the blank cover removed and installed. Could you possibly change out the box for something bigger? Something that you could mount a regular 110v outlet inside and use the wall wort inside that new box out of view?
Here are pics:

While I could theoretically replace it with a larger box, that would practically be more work than just running Cat6 up in the corner above the door there (which you can see in the pic) ... so if there's no clever way to get power out of that box in a relatively low-key way I'll probably fall back to doing that. Just seems like a shame that power is so close ... but yet SO far :).

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Any way to run ethernet to that corner where you want to mount that cam? If so, you can run a small POE switch or a POE injector to power the cam.

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
Any way to run ethernet to that corner where you want to mount that cam? If so, you can run a small POE switch or a POE injector to power the cam.
Sure - that's my backup plan. It's a bit more work to do that, but I'd run it back to my PoE switch if I need to go that route. I was just hoping there was some clever way to take advantage of the existing 110V power / box to power the camera (and then use WiFi for the network connection).