Outdoor camera suggestions

Zalick

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All - thanks to everyone who posts here. I've learned a TON reading many threads and all the help guides.

I'm looking for some suggestions on which Hik cameras to purchase. There seem to be many that would fit the bill and not sure which one to get.

I've narrowed it down to turret style. These will all be mounted outside, under eves. The purpose is for surveillance and notification. I don't require license plate ID. I would like to be able to identify a person's face, but don't need it to be crystal clear. If the average person can see the still shot and match to a photo, then that's good. Seems like 2 MP or 4 MP would suit my needs just fine.

Edit: Single story house. Cameras mounted about 7' up

I need the HFoV to be about 100 deg. These will be mounted on corners. There will be one over the door, totally sheltered, that will need about 40 deg.

As for night vision:
I believe spot lights are best for security and deterrence. All cameras will have motion sensor flood lights next to them. I know this creates some issues with the camera changing from IR to day vision. I'm OK with this.

There seem to be many on BH Photo that meet this criteria and not sure which ones I should get.

The price differences between the 2 MP and 4 MP doesn't matter to me.

I will be running this on BI with 24/7 recording.

Any suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks!

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If the waves are at the top of a double storey then all you’ll get are the tops of heads?

Zalick

n3wb
Reaction score
If the waves are at the top of a double storey then all you’ll get are the tops of heads?
Thanks for the question. I should have clarified!

Its a single story house and the cameras will be about 7' up.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Zalick

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. i might check out the dark fighter for over garage and looking up driveway to street. that is most likely spot for approach and they wouldnt set off the motion lights until fairly close.

Mac13

n3wb
Reaction score
My home is set up the same way as yours is. This is going to be my next purchase.
2 MP Ultra-Low Light Network Turret Camera
I'm interested in seeing the dark fighter capabilities so I'm willing to spend a little extra.

If your not interested in a darkfighter I'd suggest 4 MP ColorVu Fixed Turret Outdoor Network Camera
Or you can try 4 MP Outdoor AcuSense Fixed Turret Camera
Have you gotten the darkfighter yet? I have a similar setup as you guys and was looking at getting 1 colorvu to try at night. Some of the reviews look impressive. Looks like daylight in the middle of the night. Is the dark fighter even better or how does it and the colorvu compare?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ended up purchasing the DS-2CD2625FHWD-IZS and the DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS. I'm very impressed with the DS-2CD2625FHWD-IZS and its night time capabilities. The first picture I have attached is the DS-2CD2625FHWD-IZS in basically complete darkness. I have alot of IR feedback from the white vinyl from the deck and soffits but otherwise is a great nighttime cam. I'd be confident and say the camera definitely meets its 165 ft expectations for its IR light.

The second picture is from my DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS. I also like this camera but not as much as the bullet. I have a halo effect due to the flood lights but otherwise is also a good night time preformer.

I was gonna do a brief review of both but havent had any free time yet.

Attachments