Outdoor Camera that offers live streaming

Reaction score
I am looking to setup an outdoor camera at a business and let customers view the feed. I would like to offload the traffic so their connection is not saturated.

An outdoor nestcam would be perfect for this but I don't like the wifi only option. Any other camera makers offer something similar that is hardwired?

Thanks in advance

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You want like a live youtube channel? Any IP Camera can do this if you have a machine that can transcode it and send it to YouTube..

Streaming RTSP to YouTube Live

Might be able to use the Dahua firmware mod kit to drop ffmpeg onto the camera with a custom startup script and have the camera do it directly.. but thats going to require more skill than I think you have.

Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I was actually looking at ubiquiti cameras since I know you can send the RTSP stream to youtube in standalone mode without without the need for ffmpeg. However if the camera reboots it loses this setting. Since this camera lives at a business it needs to be fool proof. Hence liking the Nest offering.

I need to live stream without relying on a nvr to relay the stream.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think someone here already hacked a Hikvision firmware image to accomplish this..

I think a raspbery Pi could handle the task at hand, I know you dont want to depend on an external box but doing so really limits you to basically junk cameras.. nestcam is a fucking joke, and so are Ubiquiti.. if you just accept this then you can literally pick what camera you want from the whole market.. they all give a h264 RTSP stream.

Last edited:
Reaction score
.. nestcam is a fucking joke, and so are Ubiquiti.. .
Curious to know what your beef is with Ubiquiti. I have a few of the G3s and I am very pleased with them. I dont think you can find a better camera for $150

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can do way better for $150 than than that Ubiquiti junk with pripotary PoE, Pripotary Video Streams, and using a 4MP sensor to give a 1080p video (ie, horrible low light capabilities).. Vendor lockin at the worst.

I love Ubiquiti Wireless hardware; fuck there cameras.. look at this $170 camera that blows it totally out of the water: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hell even a $80 Dahua is better than that G3

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you search Amazon for "Dahua" you can find some options. I got my (rebranded) Dahua 4MP box camera from Amazon and it works OK for me. RIght afterwards, that that particular vendor ("SavvyPixel") stopped offering that model, but I still see plenty of hits for various Dahua models.

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most any "US Retailer" is simply going to buy from China and after tacking on a heavy fool's fee sell to you. There's at least one Ali vendor who posts here and there are a number of vendors that folks have had success with including myself. There can be language barrier issues and there are always those who will try to pull a fast one but if you stick to vendors others have found to be solid you should do just fine. Otherwise by all means pay the added cost! Oh and some of those Amazon vendors are selling out of China too ;)