Outdoor doorbell with keypad

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for outdoor doorbell.
Requirements:
  1. Water proof (since it is outdoor and will get wet/sun)
  2. Camera/intercom is nice to have (but not mandatory)
  3. Preferably option to integrate with smart home (to know when the door is open/closed or disable lock)
  4. Budget - 150 USD (ignoring shipping costs).
This seems like a good fit, but don't know if this brand is reliable.
gate.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
There are doorbell cameras and there are door station units like you have posted. The doorbell cameras are usually stand along and/or tie into a CCTV system. The door station devices aren't usually stand alone systems (ie there are more components than just the door unit) and many times tie into a larger intercom/phone system. They are also use a lot in multifamily settings like apartment buildings or businesses with multiple points of access where you have to be "buzzed" in. Unless you have a digital phone system or some sort of intercom system, I don't think a door station is going to be what you want.

There are plenty of threads on this site that review different doorbell cameras. I've had a couple of Ezviz units and currently use a DB1C at my front door. It works well and ties directly into my BlueIris system and does not have to have any internet access (no cloud reliance, etc) although it does use a cloud based system by default (I turned it off). I would suggest finding something that allows for local access and does not rely on the cloud to work.

All that being said, I have no idea what might be available in your country.

Last edited:

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are doorbell cameras and there are door station units like you have posted. The doorbell cameras are usually stand along and/or tie into a CCTV system. The door station devices aren't usually stand alone systems (ie there are more components than just the door unit) and many times tie into a larger intercom/phone system. They are also use a lot in multifamily settings like apartment buildings or businesses with multiple points of access where you have to be "buzzed" in. Unless you have a digital phone system or some sort of intercom system, I don't think a door station is going to be what you want.

There are plenty of threads on this site that review different doorbell cameras. I've had a couple of Ezviz units and currently use a DB1C at my front door. It works well and ties directly into my BlueIris system and does not have to have any internet access (no cloud reliance, etc) although it does use a cloud based system by default (I turned it off). I would suggest finding something that allows for local access and does not rely on the cloud to work.

All that being said, I have no idea what might be available in your country.
The main reason for wanting this doorbell is to prevent people who don't live in the property to get into the yard (this is not an apartment building) - so the camera/cloud are less important here.

DB1C is not a good fit, since I want to allow a few people access without me having to open the gate for them (or require them to use an application to open the gate).
I can order from Amazon so i'm not limited for buying from my country only.

I'm looking for a product recommendation or any other related guidelines.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The main reason for wanting this doorbell is to prevent people who don't live in the property to get into the yard (this is not an apartment building) - so the camera/cloud are less important here.

DB1C is not a good fit, since I want to allow a few people access without me having to open the gate for them (or require them to use an application to open the gate).
I can order from Amazon so i'm not limited for buying from my country only.

I'm looking for a product recommendation or any other related guidelines.
Thanks for the extra information. It really helps narrow down exactly what you are looking for. It sounds like a door station is definitely what you are looking for.

Something like the grandstream would work well. While I don't have experience with that particular model, I do use a few Grandstream digital phones and they work well. Of course to control access to the gate, you are going to need to get a magnetic lock for the gate as well as some sort of exit control when you want to leave your property. It might be a simple push button if you can locate it away from the fence/gate so it isn't close enough to be pressed from outside the property. If it has to be mounted close, then another keypad where you have to enter the correct number to activate the lock would work. However that grandstream model seems to have the correct I/O to work with a magnetic lock for access control. It also has both RTSP feeds and SIP compatibility which means it can tie into a larger CCTV system and/or digital phone system/intercom.

It's a little higher than your budget, but I would be shocked if you can find a door station in your price range. After all, a door station has a lot more components and circuitry than a video doorbell, and most video doorbells are in the $100-150 price range. A good quality door station is going to cost more.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't know what is the correct name for this.
So yes, I need a door station (without the actual door).
What @fenderman suggested looks good: GDS3710.
I just wonder how to use it, since it should control a door latch, so is it included in this kit (i'm totally new to this)?

About the price I just saw that a similar product costs about $500 (where I live), so, I will probably need to adjust my budget.
What I found locally (with free shipping) and it comes with a screen that allows to open the gate/see the picture from the camera:
local product
However, it seems like a generic brand without specs.

Last edited: