Outdoor Enclosures/UPS/Switch

kheiney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen some pictures of outdoor enclosure setups people have run with routers/switches/ups ect...
Are there any concerns with heat running a 8port Poe switch and a consumer UPS in the boxes?
All the switches I've looked up say the same thing as far as operating env temps up to 104f

Is there specific equipment you like to use when running in enclosures with regards to Poe switches and UPS's?

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Kheiney....

I've done a lot of outdoor enclosures in my North Bend home (Seattle area), and can recommend a good one. I've not done any UPS installs, but pretty much everything else. Here's my "Go-to" enclosure which also provides power. You have to provide an AC line to it, but it does have outlets inside and is very weatherproof. I've installed about 5 of them around my property and they have stayed water-tight for 4 seasons of super rainy Seattle weather.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Enclosure-Cabinet/dp/B0042ZKWBG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1516900864&sr=8-9&keywords=outdoor+power+enclosure

Here's a picture of one of my installs:

Enclosure.jpg
Hope this helps you!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Kheiney

Nice job Tuckerdude. I live in the Tropics and rain and hot days is the norm. A cheaper solution is using PVC weatherproof boxes of different sizes to put inside electronic products, including switchers/poe, power supply, etc. If needed, you can even drill small holes on the bottom, cover it with metallic screen, an include a small brush-less 12Vdc motor to extract the heat inside the box

Attachments

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Eggsan....Looks nice a clean! I've used enclosures like those as well for some of my installs. I'll be the humidity introduces a whole other set of problems for you!

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tuckerdude, yes humidity is an important factor to consider. Here in the Tropics, the temperature is almost hot all year around, with the lowest around 75 degrees F . In extreme conditions, you may install inside the housing a 24Vac heater/blower-extractor, removed from an inexpensive camera housing

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yikes! Well, if it's any consolation...I just came back inside after swapping out an old 3MP camera for a new 8MP Bullet and while I was out there, the rain turned to ICE PELLETS and proceeded to pummel me while I tried to make the swap! :lmao: