outdoor IP camera to monitor the car from the 8th floor

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what distance is 8 floors ?
~80ft (24m) straight down.

4x and 20x dont mean anything.. a 20mm-400mm = 20x and 2-40mm = 20x

its mm you want to pay close attention to.. he'll likely want ~25mm ideally depending on the sensor.. a varifocal would be a wise purchase with this kind of setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
~80ft (24m) straight down.

4x and 20x dont mean anything.. a 20mm-400mm = 20x and 2-40mm = 20x

its mm you want to pay close attention to.. he'll likely want ~25mm ideally depending on the sensor.. a varifocal would be a wise purchase with this kind of setup.
Correct. Or go with a telephoto lens.

The biggest focal length is 50mm I've seen on a M12/S-Mount lens
http://www.lensation.de/product/B3M50025/

Correction, looks like 90mm, which may be too much.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/mini-lens-HD-M12-90mm-lens-CCTV-camera-lens/32567618046.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6,searchweb201602_4_10036_10035_10034_507_10020_10001_10002_10017_10010_10005_10011_10006_10003_10021_10004_10022_10009_10008_10018_10019,searchweb201603_7&btsid=b0ca06b9-92db-4aec-8276-db26442140ff

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Back to what he wants, if he just wants to see if his car is gone, 12mm should be enough. Say he's 80ft high, car is 40 ft from the building, about 90ft LOS to the car.

On the other hand, I would also want to be able to possibly see the thief for an ID. At 90ft, 50mm for an id? Best bet is to get a variable focus/zoom, he may need as much as 60mm or 80mm.

Myself I have never had to cover that much distance, so I will leave that to the experts here.

Andrey

n3wb
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know I cant read chineese, but those look like simple motion zones.. not object detection.

object detection will notify you if your car is missing, motion detection will notify you when a cloud moves, rain/snow, a bug flies close by, or a dog farts and you'll quickly shut it off or simply ignore it when your car does go missing.. outdoors you cant get simple motion detection to work for notifications, it dont work.. environment is far too dynamic.

If your car is such a piece of shit that you insist on spending beer money on a camera for it, then why even bother? all those ones you linked look like trash that Harbor Freight wouldn't even sell you.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
nayr is very passionate and is pretty much spot on so do please take note of what he says, your problem is the distance, most ipcams used in the forum are for home owners with distances that are not as great as yours, for greater distances you will need a longer length lens BUT

it depends on what you want to see, an overall view of the car with lots of surroundings or your car with detail so you can actually see who is messing with it

each situation is different dependent on where you live, some places crime is rife and the thieves just keep coming, other areas crime is low and the area is pretty secure, then there is the detection algorithm, you asked which feature should be used, use all of them and find out what works best, again it all depends on the situation and no one here can tell you the exact answer without actually being there

i picked that camera as it has a motorised zoom and is excellent at night, however the zoom at full stretch will only get half way so you will still see the car with lots of surroundings and not brilliant resolution on the individuals faces, to get excellent recognition you will need a great night cam with an extended length lens

and as most have pointed out, cheap cams simply will not be good enough in any way, not long enough lens, not good enough image, too far away at night and no detection algorithms and even if they did the distance would probably be too far to use them

as i said you will need great night vision with a longer length lens and that unfortunately is many bucks / pounds

Andrey

n3wb
Reaction score
heck the $106 4MP 6mm dahua camera I just ordered actually has missing object detection and long range IR, so it can actually tell if your car is gone and notify you reliably.. night or day and the 12mm lens is an option.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-DH-IPC-HFW4421D-AS-Audio-4MP-HD-WDR-Network-LXIR-Bullet-Camera-CCTV-IP/32521895436.html
Can you, please, test object detection in this camera when you will receive it? I'm curious if it can detect a missing motorcycle from 25 meters at night.
In specs of Dahua IPC-HFW4421D(-AS) it says that Smart Detection is Optional. Does it mean that I have to buy some additional hardware for this function to work?
an overall view of the car with lots of surroundings
This variant.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
having just tested in software... and yes i appreciate it is not real world, 12 mm from 80ft above using object removal could possibly work, you are never going to get faces as your above but it would defo be able to detect if your car had been removed as long as you park in the same place each time

25mtrs.JPG

the man is set to 25 mtrs distance using 12mm at full 1080p

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you, please, test object detection in this camera when you will receive it? I'm curious if it can detect a missing motorcycle from 25 meters at night.
In specs of Dahua IPC-HFW4421D(-AS) it says that Smart Detection is Optional. Does it mean that I have to buy some additional hardware for this function to work?

This variant.
Oh I'll have a whole thread dedicated to reviewing the camera.. the -AS comes with the SmartFeatures, I verified that with the seller.. I dont know if the model without audio/alarm and SD does tho. (non -AS)