Outdoor Motion Sensor

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is an old thread but here are my findings.

Everywhere I asked for outdoor detectors, I was reccomended Optex.

But having two big dogs and wanting dual technology, I had to exclude them. For big pets I found Risco WatchOut Extreme (IP65) or WatchU (IP54), Maximum Out-Smart and Crow EDS-2000 and EDS-3000, all 3 made in Israel.

From the reviews I read the WathOut is the most reliable, the Out-Smart is difficult to set (so many things to adjust that they even sell a remote control for it), and the Crow is heavyduty, beeing used by the israeli army.

I bought 1 WatchOut (carefull if you buy it from Italy. I payed for WatchOut and got a WatchU, and it was difficult to have a refund) and 1 Out-Smart (I confirm it is very difficult to set and the maximum instalation height is 2m – for me it is a drawback).

WatchU: 2MW + 2 PIR. Anti-masking. 4 different lenses for different situations. Sway recognition.

Out-Smart: 1MW + 2 PIR. Anti-masking. Anti-shock/vibration detection. It is multi-directional (rotates inside) and has “blockers” that you can use inside to reduce the horizontal detection coverage.
Auto-night mode (different detection range at night, but needs remote control for programing).
It has a Camera/DVR-NVR trigger: the relay can be activated for 10 seconds after detection.

My oppinion after 2 months (I prefer Risco WatchU)

WatchU Sway recognition is good: plant leaves moving with wind more than 5 m away don´t trigger the alarm.
Maximum sensitivity setting looses pet immunity and medium or minimum sensitivity don´t catch a moving person as well as a normal indoor detector . Heavy rain triggers the MW channel continously, so only PIR channels left for alarm condition. Temperature compensation works fine: sun suddenly appearing after a cloud does'nt trigger PIR channel.

No false alarms as long as maximum sentitivity is not set.

Not tested with a thunderstorm/lightning yet.

I'd also like to find a nice over the door motion sensor thats more than just PIR since it will be outdoors and temperatures in colorado wreak havoc on my PIR lights; if anyone has any ideas... mebe the above dual detector mounted on the overhang pointed down? I have about 3ft overhang and only want objects within a few feet to set it off.
Pet immunity conditions are changed if detector is pointed down (only recommended in a sloped ground).

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

Any other detector to advise ?

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pet imunity functionality is needed

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These are the other ones I had on my list:

- DSC LC-151, PIR + MW, pet imun. 35Kg
- DSC LC-171, 2xPIR + MW, pet imun. 35 Kg
- PARADOX: I just rebember beeing douple PIR, pet imun. 40Kg, google the references/specs.
- OPTEX VX 402, VX402REC: double PIR (not sure), pet imune (?Kg, but small animals I think), REC version has loudspeaker with recorded message for intruder.
- OPTEX LX 402: double PIR (not sure), pet imune (?Kg, but small animals I think)
- OPTEX HX 40 series: 2xPIR and 2xPIR + MW, pet imune (small animals)
- OPTEX LX 402: ?

OPTEX has several; think they are all relatively low instalation height for pet imunity.

It is very important you check instalation height for each detector, as pet imunity is not kept outside recommended height.

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback
What do you think about the OMS-12FE ?
it is suppose to work great in hot country
Maybe someone already tested it ?

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't not it. Personally I prefer dual technology (PIR+MW). Less false alarms.

Just google if there are any reviews.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have one Optex VXI-DAM, that lists 120 cm mounting height. Also dual technology and pet immunity.
The look not to bog, but once I got it, it is rather large