Outdoor Motion Sensor

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its great at night, here is a quick tour I did right after installing it.. I think WDR is off in this but I now have it enabled 24/7, screw prettiness it shows more detail.

the high-beams on the IR are great, I can zoom in on my cat in a neighbors yard and it looks like daytime 100ft away in pure darkness.. perfect for checking out all the dark corners after hearing bumps in the night.

Too bad the Coyote's have eaten or other-words displaced all the resident foxes; they used to try to get past my dog for pure entertainment.. smart lil buggers, would have been great watching them with IR; maby one day again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh yeah, your day shots look a bit washed out. Now I know why. You could try setting profile periods. It's not terrible, but daytime is a bit too washed out for me personally. But you're what matters. Nice night shots- you get a ton of coverage from that location. :cool:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it was really bad right then at dusk; it was moments away from flipping to night mode.. durring the day its not as bad and the shade from the trees still has plenty of detail next to the glare of the road.. its a tradeoff in color corrections thats for sure, but detail is what I am after.. at night its much better dealing with headlights and highlighting rabbits in a yard/road standing still.. Ive done alot of FPV flying with model aircraft and I've come to love a good WDR, it gets real bad trying to pick out detail from changing lighting angles.

this time of year the clock is changing rapidly and the profiles cant be ran off a calculated sunrise/sunset; i could not find an API command to change day/night profiles either for remote programming.

I am going to do the same thing out front with the mini 3MP P/T camera, right by the front door.. normally it will watch cars in the driveway, directly in line with the walkway up to the door (20ft path, cam 7ft above ground) but will turn to be a front door camera when someone approaches the door off to the side a few feet and would be out of the FOV of a fixed camera. That camera does not have alarm inputs so I am running the motion sensor off a beaglebone in the garage handling my sprinklers and posting the command via api calls... now i just need to identify sales people automatically and turn the sprinklers on as they approach :)

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sweet set up and demo clip, thanks for sharing it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
an update, this has been working great since installed.. very few false alarms, mostly animals and blowing car covers on a warm day.. no failed detections, every time I've opened the gate or walked through there I look up and the camera is looking at me.. every once and a while it will get stuck on the gate if I leave it open, but then the idle timeout will kick in and it will reset until the next trigger.

Had I been able to get a dual tech motion sensor in this area (power limitations) I think i'd have pretty much zero false alarms.. getting two sensors playing nice is tricky and will result in better behavior the further away they are.. so if you want to hookup two PIR motion sensors make sure they dont overlap or I am sure it wont be what you expected.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
So those motion sensors your talking about is heat detected sensors?

Does it allow us to disable the video motion sensors and use external sensors on our cams?

I am looking for one for outdoor use but not sure which ones to get. It would be mounted like about 10 feet high but I am wanting it to cover at least 12 feet or more outward if possible.

Any brand recommendation?

I am using Sharx cameras but it does have alarm detection terminal on it.

Thank you

Bill

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah you can get IR or dual tech ones w/IR and Microwave for even less false alarms.. you can get some that span all sizes.. its 15 degrees outside right now and mine is responding fine.

but if your cameras or NVR dont have an alarm input that would be a problem... my camera has 2 alarm inputs, and an output, I am using the input to trigger a PTZ preset and the output to notify my home alarm system (and NVR?) that an event has triggered.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah you can get IR or dual tech ones w/IR and Microwave for even less false alarms.. you can get some that span all sizes.. its 15 degrees outside right now and mine is responding fine.

but if your cameras or NVR dont have an alarm input that would be a problem... my camera has 2 alarm inputs, and an output, I am using the input to trigger a PTZ preset and the output to notify my home alarm system (and NVR?) that an event has triggered.
Are you using the Optex OP-08CBL?

i read the specs on it and it seem to be designed for close range door sensor but reading further the specs said it can detect up to 26 feet outward if it mounted at least 13 feet high?

I don't care about fault detections but I am just trying to reduce fault detection as much I can, daytime most fault detections are coming from swaying trees and shadows while nighttime are from bugs or spider up close.

Thank you for feedbacks

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah thats what im using, its mounted 13' high on side of the house.. I choose it because it can operate off the same 24vac as my camera

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr this is an old thread but I'm curious, how was this setup worked over the years and also, does this PIR device have a light that activates when it is tripped? I know some have a little red LED that goes on.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
still works great, it has a green light thats on all the time and a red one that comes on when triggered.. its very sensitive but in this area I want to get animal traffic

PattoLFC

n3wb
Reaction score
still works great, it has a green light thats on all the time and a red one that comes on when triggered.. its very sensitive but in this area I want to get animal traffic
Is it possible you can do a write up on the hardware used etc? I wouldn't mind adopting a similar setup at my home but I'm very new to the cctv scene.

Thanks!

jatt

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible you can do a write up on the hardware used etc? I wouldn't mind adopting a similar setup at my home but I'm very new to the cctv scene.

Thanks!
that would be nice, if he can write it up for us noobs.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unfortunately this camera is 20ft in the air and I've not had any need to touch anything in 2 years.. so I am not about to go up there and start tearing into it just to get some pix of the wiring.

Its pretty simple, you hook the motion sensor to the alarm input.. give it power and off you go.. my PTZ has 2 alarm inputs and can be configured to go to a preset when one is shorted to ground.. so the motion sensor just shorts the input to ground when it goes off, otherwise its floating and disarmed.

I'll be installing another motion sensor somewhere else before winter comes, I'll write up something then a little more comprehensive.

Hawko777

n3wb
Reaction score
unfortunately this camera is 20ft in the air and I've not had any need to touch anything in 2 years.. so I am not about to go up there and start tearing into it just to get some pix of the wiring.

Its pretty simple, you hook the motion sensor to the alarm input.. give it power and off you go.. my PTZ has 2 alarm inputs and can be configured to go to a preset when one is shorted to ground.. so the motion sensor just shorts the input to ground when it goes off, otherwise its floating and disarmed.

I'll be installing another motion sensor somewhere else before winter comes, I'll write up something then a little more comprehensive.
Hi All
Just to add my 2 bobs worth, I was looking at the OPTEX website and saw these laser scan detectors which look to be the ducks nuts for use with your PTZ and other triggers. Not sure if we plebs can buy them or even how much they cost.
http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/rls-3060

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Optex makes nice sensors, but they are quite expensive here.
ebay has some, but most from Italy and almost no other sellers (of new ones)

The VXI series look noce also, about 100€ without shipping. From Italy no tax for me

kadkam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here we go; working exactly as I had hoped.

now in effect I have 3 cameras in one, PTZ just became a lil more cost effective.. especially at the price of this one.
fantastic but, what happen if more than one person is moving ahead?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
then more than one person will trigger the same sensor? Thats not tracking people; its responding to sensors.. if both sensors are triggered it'll check out whatever one was the last one to go off.