Outdoor night vision cameras and rodents ASAP

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they see anything sitting on the lights in these pictures? The camera sent alarm pics all night long and all pictures are zoomed into the light when I open to view. If you can’t zoom into them I can try to zoom then take a screenshot.
I had someone move the cameras for me so that they are both pointing towards the front corner of the house but from two different angles. I did this just hoping they would show where they are going in and out.

I heard things coming in last night and cameras were sending alarms at those time but I cant see anything coming in near where I’m hearing them.

I still plan to buy the camera recommendEd by looney2ns. I need to hurry up and figure this out because it’s getting cold here in the north east and won’t be able to do anything about it until Spring and I don’t want to live another Winter with them in the house.

Attachments

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
why not just call an exterminator? They may be able to help you figure out how they are getting in and also get rid of anything that is already inside?

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everyone is focusing on the camera (pardon the pun), but you're trying to cast a really, really wide net here.
Before you worry about what camera you have, you need to find probable entry and exit points. Regardless of what type of rodent / animal is nesting in your Attic / walls, there will be a hole or area of ingress/egress. You need to find that area first, then get in closer and aim your camera there.

I realize that may be difficult with your A frame roof, but I'll bet whatever it is has a route down low close to the ground.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Peek

It really comes down to your budget and wants/needs. You mention 4MP as well, the 5442 cams are very nice and have great sensors (1/1.8”) with awesome night performance, beefier SOCs powering them and more RAM leading to snappier performance primarily for the AI features that are included that again work very well.

However in this case, the Human & Vehicle AI features of the 5442 are really superfluous to your immediate needs IMO as you will primarily have this pointed at the roof for the rodent issue. Now that’s not to say you won’t benefit from the 4MP sensor (pulling details away from the shingle to identify the target etc), optics and processing bundled with the 5442s BUT you will need to balance those against the price difference with the 2231 and your budget plus mid term plans for the cam I.e after rodents have been identified and hopefully eradicated do you want to use the camera for regular surveillance duties / home security.

Both are great cams and whatever you decide these should certainly should elevate the experience you’ve had with cams In general to this point. I don’t think you will be disappointed with either

HTH

Is this the best camera you’ve reviewed? I ask because these will be the last cameras I buy for many years to come. You won’t believe the money I’ve spent on this issue between trappers, home modifications and repairs. Not to mention several crappy cameras. Will this camera catch bats and flying squirrels? Is a 4mp better? I trust you guys because you know about this stuff and I clearly do not.

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
why not just call an exterminator? They may be able to help you figure out how they are getting in and also get rid of anything that is already inside?
Thank you for replying!
I’ve had 3 exterminators here, 2 trappers and the DEM. Everyone agrees there is something but no one knows for sure what it is. I have spent so much money on this. It’s $150 just to have a trapper come look around. I had a year long contract with 1 extermination company for the amount of $3k a year. They couldn’t figure out what they are or how t get rid of them. I have 12 rat bait boxes outside my house. I also have both rat and mouse bait boxes around the inside of house and basement. Nothing has touched them. We know we have bats because I literally got attacked by one last April. I won’t go into the details. We knew there was something else here because we hear chewing and bats don’t chew.
the house is made of tongue and groove cedar which leaves so many places the can get in. We never had any issues in 27 years until we had a new roof put on the sides of the house. They did a terrible job. The shingles at the top do not come right to the facia board which they moved and it left openings where the top facia board and sides don’t meet up. You can see that in the pics I posted this morning.
Gosh, aren’t you sorry you asked? Lol

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Peek

It really comes down to your budget and wants/needs. You mention 4MP as well, the 5442 cams are very nice and have great sensors (1/1.8”) with awesome night performance, beefier SOCs powering them and more RAM leading to snappier performance primarily for the AI features that are included that again work very well.

However in this case, the Human & Vehicle AI features of the 5442 are really superfluous to your immediate needs IMO as you will primarily have this pointed at the roof for the rodent issue. Now that’s not to say you won’t benefit from the 4MP sensor (pulling details away from the shingle to identify the target etc), optics and processing bundled with the 5442s BUT you will need to balance those against the price difference with the 2231 and your budget plus mid term plans for the cam I.e after rodents have been identified and hopefully eradicated do you want to use the camera for regular surveillance duties / home security.

Both are great cams and whatever you decide these should certainly should elevate the experience you’ve had with cams In general to this point. I don’t think you will be disappointed with either

HTH
n.
I’m a little confused. If it were you and you were going to use the cameras afterwards for home security, which camera would you buy? At this point the budget is out the window and I’d honestly rather fix this issue than eat this month. Lol

also, as a last thought, do these cameras require you to pay for cloud storage or can I use a hard drive attached to my router. I have a 1T hard drive attached to router and great security. I used to work in high tech for 35 years before getting sick so my network is locked dow

Last edited:

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is my suggestion:

1. Get the 2231T-ZS-S2. One of the benefits here is that it is a varifocal camera and it can focus on stuff quite close to it, if you need to put it at ground level and focus on the nearby ground or the underside of the roof.

2. put the camera down near the ground and aim it up at a nearby tree or house, something it can get a focus lock on in the dark.

3. crank up the shutter speed to a very fast shutter like 1/500th second, then even faster if you can. You're not trying for a pretty picture. What you want is a stop-action shot of flying bats (if that's what you've got) caught in the beam of the camera's infrared. If the background's really dark, that's fine (as long as the camera can still get enough details to focus).

4. if your camera doesn't get anything interesting flying, have the camera look up at the bottom of your eaves from ground level to see if it reveals anything going in or out.

5. if it still doesn't catch anything, put it just above ground level looking laterally along the base of the wall.

I was recently doing a field-of-view study and included the old version of the 2231, and due to its varifocal nature, it was able to focus on stuff just a foot away from the lens pretty well, not the case for a fixed-focus camera I happened to test.
Thank you for responding!! I’m not going to be looking at anything close up. I had a contractor come put hardware wire under the eaves and on ridge vents that run along the whole sides of the house at the top, just below the flat top rubber roof. If you look at my pics the hardware wire was left open so that they didn’t lock anything in the house. It was left like that until we find out for sure where things are coming and going from. After that we close up all but 1 hole. The back of the house is all closed up.

The cameras I’m using now: both facing front of house but from different angles. One camera is about 25 feet away from house and the other is right in front of house on the deck rail.

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everyone is focusing on the camera (pardon the pun), but you're trying to cast a really, really wide net here.
Before you worry about what camera you have, you need to find probable entry and exit points. Regardless of what type of rodent / animal is nesting in your Attic / walls, there will be a hole or area of ingress/egress. You need to find that area first, then get in closer and aim your camera there.

I realize that may be difficult with your A frame roof, but I'll bet whatever it is has a route down low close to the ground.
How do I find the entry and exit points without a camera? This house has been gone over by many people who all think I’m crazy until they spend some time inside and hear what’s going on.
We hear them coming and going near the top of the house but have yet to find out where. I have sat outside for many many days and nights trying to see where they are coming and going. Many people have sat out with me. This has been going on for years now and I want it out of my life. Just think of how much they have multiplied in that time. I have spent well over $15k on this issue. My savings is gone but rodents still here.

That is why I bought cameras, in hopes I will be able to see where they are coming and going. Everything close to the ground has been closed up. I’m sure if they want to get out close to the ground though they will find a way. You might be right?

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they see anything sitting on the lights in these pictures? The camera sent alarm pics all night long and all pictures are zoomed into the light when I open to view. If you can’t zoom into them I can try to zoom then take a screenshot.
I had someone move the cameras for me so that they are both pointing towards the front corner of the house but from two different angles. I did this just hoping they would show where they are going in and out.

I heard things coming in last night and cameras were sending alarms at those time but I cant see anything coming in near where I’m hearing them.

I still plan to buy the camera recommendEd by looney2ns. I need to hurry up and figure this out because it’s getting cold here in the north east and won’t be able to do anything about it until Spring and I don’t want to live another Winter with them in the house.
I just want to know if anyone sees what it is I think I see on the lights??

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do I find the entry and exit points without a camera? This house has been gone over by many people who all think I’m crazy until they spend some time inside and hear what’s going on.
We hear them coming and going near the top of the house but have yet to find out where. I have sat outside for many many days and nights trying to see where they are coming and going. Many people have sat out with me. This has been going on for years now and I want it out of my life. Just think of how much they have multiplied in that time. I have spent well over $15k on this issue. My savings is gone but rodents still here.

That is why I bought cameras, in hopes I will be able to see where they are coming and going. Everything close to the ground has been closed up. I’m sure if they want to get out close to the ground though they will find a way. You might be right?
I'm sorry for your troubles, sounds like a terrible spot to be in. I've been to rural homes where rats and mice have entered at the foundation / crawlspace and climbed up through the walls making dozens of nests in the joist cavities. Bats? Squirrels? maybe. Squirrels are usually easier to spot as they'll come and go throughout the day. I don't know enough about bats to speak about them.

I just feel you might have a hard time catching something so small from such a great distance. We do see rats / mice at one of our Industrial Grain sites from overhead cameras, but that's always been daytime captures. Never come across night time capture of rodents unless the camera has been within 20 feet or so of the subject.

Best wishes, I hope you get it sorted out!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just want to know if anyone sees what it is I think I see on the lights??
I can't see anything definitively on the lights. The actual video that you took the screen shot from might be easier to see whats moving.
I suggest you add an additional IR light say 30 degrees away from the camera, that would give you a little more depth.
IR light here
The new location of the camera has a much better picture, not sure you need a new camera, just additional light.
Does your home have a crawl space? Possibly they are getting in there?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Peek

Agree with @looney2ns that the position you showed in the recent pics is better and as I mentioned in an earlier post allows the luxury of a more 3D friendly angle for capture. Not sure if this is your final resting place for the cams as this is the side vs the roof but also agree that more IR light (off cam) to augment would help. None of us would advocate for you throwing more money at this (except to remove the rodents) until you’ve ruled out the equipment you have.

With regards to your question to me about what camera I would pick, first based on the new pics and the discussion on additional light, I would also recommend that you try that approach first (current cam, new angle, addition of IR illuminations). If that still doesn’t give you clarity and control of image to dial in as you would like or get results expected then would consider the cam.

As to which cam (should you go that route) that really depends on your final goals for the camera, install location, lighting of that location, needs after its initial use etc. For me, the Human & Vehicle detection (once you enable the filter) of the 5442 works well and does cut down the mis-captures therefore making review of captured video even smoother. I also really like the 1/1.8” 4MP sensor and the performance of the 5442 cams. Therefore as you asked what I would buy, it would be the 5442 BUT again everyone’s needs and budgets are different and you wouldn’t go wrong if your budget only allows the 2231. Remember that the T5442s are fixed lens turret cams and (again depending on your needs over the life of the cam) the B5442 (Andy’s @EMPIRETECANDY OEM of the HFW5442E) is a varifocal bullet form factor, the 2231 @looney2ns mentiones is a vari turret. The vari’s may be beneficial up front (for the rodent issue) allowing you to get a tighter image through optical zoom if you can’t move the cam physically closer BUT in the long term you personally might have a preference to the turret form factor on for example a porch so again depends on your needs.

Also, in looking at the images, I see a shadow by the lights that could be something out of place but without additional IR, cam closer to target etc cannot categorically determine if it’s just off angle shadow or something there. Not knowing the capabilities of your current cam with regards to things like motion detection thresholds etc it could be triggering on branch shadows, lighting changes etc too. With the new cams suggested you could draw detect regions to keep the camera focused on capturing specific areas of the image (rule one out at a time) until you isolate those key to identification of the problem.

Hopefully you can get this rodent issue sorted soon as that is never fun to deal with especially with the time you’ve been dealing with it and the money you’ve invested.

Last edited:

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I suspect the white streak you see across the upper-right window is what triggered your camera. The image is only 640 x 480 pixels in size; is that the camera's actual resolution?

From a camera standpoint, given the unusual scenario, varifocal is a good idea so you have flexibility in your fact-finding mission. I hate to say it, but if professional exterminators haven't been able to deal with the problem so far, then identifying the pest probably won't change that. Maybe cut bait and sell the property as-is, and get a house that's not so easy to infiltrate from a million angles.

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't see anything definitively on the lights. The actual video that you took the screen shot from might be easier to see whats moving.
I suggest you add an additional IR light say 30 degrees away from the camera, that would give you a little more depth.
IR light here
The new location of the camera has a much better picture, not sure you need a new camera, just additional light.
Does your home have a crawl space? Possibly they are getting in there?
I had a crawlspace under the back room but had them rip up the floor, hired a masonry and had a cement truck come fill it in. They put down 5” of cement. I watch to make sure nothings digging in.
I zoomed in at the pictures I posted this morning and it looks to me like 4 or 5 flying squirrels sitting on the lights and on one another. I just didn’t say what I thought to see if any of you saw the same thing. What kind of IR light? Ther are so many different ones. I know nothing about this stuff.
I have 2 cameras out there so should I get 2 IR lights and point one at side of house n one somewhere else?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Something like the Tendelux aren’t bad:

Tendelux 200ft Long Range IR Illuminator | BI18 90° LED Outdoor IR Flood Light for Security Camera (w/Power Adapter)
or

Tendelux 80ft IR Illuminator | AI4 No Hot Spot Wide Angle Infrared Light for Security Camera (w/Power Adapter)
you guys are truly the best!! Thank you so much for hanging in here with me. I’m desperate to get this out of my life.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, just make sure you keep us posted on progress and let us know if any of us can help. Hope you get this sorted

you guys are truly the best!! Thank you so much for hanging in here with me. I’m desperate to get this out of my life.

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does this IR light have to be behind the camera or can I put it somewhere else in between both cameras but up higher? I have one camera sitting on my car (about 25’ away pointing at the front and side of house n one on the rail of front deck right in front of house. I would like to maybe get someone to hang the IR light from a tree or somewhere up higher because right now anyone can come along and take the camera off my car.