Outdoor POE switch install

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Please see updated post below. I am stupid and can't read.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I'd share my outdoor POE switch install with everyone.

I had a Unifi Switch Flex Utility outside on the pergola working well. Switch Flex Utility This unit is convenient for installation. It comes with a POE injector and a 5 port switch with a weather proof box.
Only real issue is that one of the ports has to be used for POE and another port has to be used for input from your network. That only leaves ports for 3 cameras.

1671035368218.png

A couple of weeks ago my wife was complaining that we weren't getting enough coverage of the back yard. She was the one asking for more cameras! How lucky was I? Didn't take me long to come up with the new setup.

Bought a Unifi POE Switch Lite POE which has 8 ports. Found an enclosure that was used for cable company that has network cable access slots. The box is basically same size as Flex Utility 9 x 9". 1 port is reserved to connect to network leaving 7 ports for cameras.

IMG_5491.JPGIMG_5492.JPG

Parts List

Switch Lite POE Switch Lite 8 PoE
Outdoor Enclosure

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

KurtH

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice unit, thanks for posting! My problem was getting power outside where I needed it. I ended up using a POE extender switch that pulls POE power from an indoor switch (vs. having to plug it in to an outdoor AC source). Has 5 ports, 1 uplink (POE source) and 4 POE ports for cameras and such. No management, all ports have to be on the same VLAN as the uplink port (not a problem for me, all cameras anyway). Running 3 cameras and an air sensor...seems to be staying within the power budget for the uplink port so all is well. Kurt

20221004_082756.jpgPOE switch.jpg

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice. I also have a Purple Air. Mine looks like yours, its a Flex II with the SD card.

I was fortunate to have power already at the pergola. It was installed when we built the pergola. Your idea is a good one for those without power source at the site.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Apparently I am stupid and can't read.

This switch has 8 ports but only 4 are POE. UGH.

I searched around for a better solution and the best and cheapest I came up with was installing a second switch. A little work and I got everything to fit.

Lesson learned: READ THE Fing MANUAL.

IMG_5518.JPG

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be able to power the 2nd switch from a PoE port from the the first switch. That would save you a tiny bit of room :)

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice to see another install using this box. I stumbled on it on my own didn't know about @looney2ns link. I pulled out that coax connecter thing on the hasp. I have a bolt to lock it down instead.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just put weatherproof boxes in large enough to put a 8 port POE switch and electrical outlet inside the box and one I attached the cameras also to the box. The other cameras were external from the box and always use the uplink switches so I can run a cat5 to the next box with a POE switch.20210831_153800.jpg20210831_153820.jpg