Outdoor PTZ with 2-way audio?

zeleznikja

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any outdoor PTZs that have 2 way audio? I tried Amcrest's IP4M-1098EW-AI, but apparently my NVR (Synology) does not support using the camera's speaker. I found another one, made by Reolink and it has the same problem. I've spent hours scouring Hikvision and Dahua without much success. I did find the DS-2DE3A404IW-DE/W(S6) but it's not on Synology's list (and really doesn't look outdoor rated anyways) and Id prefer not to take another long shot. I also found the PTZ3E405-AI on EmpireTechs site. This appears to be the same as the amcrest....what are the chances theirs would have a speaker that i can control?

This seems like a pretty common type of camera to want...I just cant figure out why no one makes them. Is it manufactures wanting IP67 (which i have to imagine would rule out speakers and microphones) or am I missing something?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any outdoor PTZs that have 2 way audio? I tried Amcrest's IP4M-1098EW-AI, but apparently my NVR (Synology) does not support using the camera's speaker. I found another one, made by Reolink and it has the same problem. I've spent hours scouring Hikvision and Dahua without much success. I did find the DS-2DE3A404IW-DE/W(S6) but it's not on Synology's list (and really doesn't look outdoor rated anyways) and Id prefer not to take another long shot. I also found the PTZ3E405-AI on EmpireTechs site. This appears to be the same as the amcrest....what are the chances theirs would have a speaker that i can control?

This seems like a pretty common type of camera to want...I just cant figure out why no one makes them. Is it manufactures wanting IP67 (which i have to imagine would rule out speakers and microphones) or am I missing something?
Almost every model of Hikvision camera besides the extremely low end offer input / output for a speaker / microphone.

Some of their other cameras include both speaker & microphone in all three styles from dome, turret, bullet.

External microphones & speakers are primarily used for the higher sound quality, output volume, sensitivity, and placement.

zeleznikja

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Sorry I should have been clearer. I am specifically looking for a built-in mic and speaker. In this use case I don't really care about higher sound quality/volume. I tried investigating the external mic/speaker options and a) couldn't really find a good speaker option, b) either would require running 12v power lines along with the POE and c) would necessitate having to put in a weatherproof component box for all the splitters/wires/ect (or just weatherproof the connections I suppose). In either even it would be soo much easier to just find a camera that does it.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Sorry I should have been clearer. I am specifically looking for a built-in mic and speaker. In this use case I don't really care about higher sound quality/volume. I tried investigating the external mic/speaker options and a) couldn't really find a good speaker option, b) either would require running 12v power lines along with the POE and c) would necessitate having to put in a weatherproof component box for all the splitters/wires/ect (or just weatherproof the connections I suppose). In either even it would be soo much easier to just find a camera that does it.
If you’re serious it comes down to money. If your budget doesn’t allow a large outlay in cash the best value is to use external accessory to obtain a microphone / speaker.

Yes, having to enclose extra wiring and components is a PITA if there isn’t room for the same.

Even with a POE splitter you’re left with having to secure all the wiring from the elements.

zeleznikja

n3wb
Reaction score
That's the thing....I can't even find an option that has them built-in, that works with my NVR, regardless of price. Hikvision USA just confirmed that they don't even make one...(the DS-2DE3A404IW-DE/W(S6) isn't sold in US I guess). I have a couple indoor PTZ cameras that all work fine with 2 way audio. I have several different outdoor bullet cams that all have fine mics on them.

Even if I decided to go the route of external.....which I really really don't want to do....I can't even figure out where to buy the mic/speaker...it really feels like I'm missing something (basic correct terminology?) I would imagine that I should be able to buy an outdoor rated speaker/mic device, no? I found one outdoor speaker, which may/may not work, and some threads here about good mic options but i cant shake the feeling that there has to be an easier way and im just missing something.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest is made by Dahua.

Most good outdoor PTZ won't include a mic because all you will hear is the PTZ spinning and moving.

zeleznikja

n3wb
Reaction score
Which is why I was confused I couldn't find the camera on their site (like I can most of the other Amcrest ones I have). In theory, if I could then maybe I could put on the Dahua firmware and that might shuffle the deck. I mean it has to be a firmware problem right? The Amcrest app, cameras site and DMSS all can control the speaker but TinyCam and Synology can't. If DMSS can control it then that means its not some proprietary protocol or something....or since DMSS is made by Dahua then that would seem to rule out the empire one as well?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
That's the thing....I can't even find an option that has them built-in, that works with my NVR, regardless of price. Hikvision USA just confirmed that they don't even make one...(the DS-2DE3A404IW-DE/W(S6) isn't sold in US I guess). I have a couple indoor PTZ cameras that all work fine with 2 way audio. I have several different outdoor bullet cams that all have fine mics on them.

Even if I decided to go the route of external.....which I really really don't want to do....I can't even figure out where to buy the mic/speaker...it really feels like I'm missing something (basic correct terminology?) I would imagine that I should be able to buy an outdoor rated speaker/mic device, no? I found one outdoor speaker, which may/may not work, and some threads here about good mic options but i cant shake the feeling that there has to be an easier way and im just missing something.
Not sure what style you’re looking for but there are cameras that include both speaker & microphone:

There are many examples but out of your budget for sure . . .

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An app made for a camera will always work better than a 3rd party app.

Audio doesn't follow an ONVIF standard sonthst is why it can be problematic with some cameras and software.

In recent years Dahua has hard-coded the cheaper cameras to not accept Dahua firmware to stop people from buying the cheaper cam and flashing to get more options. In many cases they now even put in incompatible chips so ensure it can't be flashed.

Empiretech is different as it is OEM without the Dahua logo so if it works for Dahua it will work for Empiretech. Amcrest and others are cheaper cams.

zeleznikja

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure what style you’re looking for but there are cameras that include both speaker & microphone:

There are many examples but out of your budget for sure . . .
I don't really have a budget per se, I mean if it costs $5,000 that may give me some pause, but if that is the only way to solve the problem then so be it.

Of those you listed the only 2 that are outdoor PTZ are the DS-2DE2C400MWG-E (which was certainly on my radar) and the DS-2SE3C404MWG-E/14 (which is odd because Hikvision's site and datasheet do not list it as having a speaker and mic...). I may take a flyer and order the DS-2DE2C400MWG-E or DS-2DE3A404IW-DE/W(S6) off ebay (would prefer somewhere I could return to if it doesnt work) and see if Synology works with either.