Outdoor runs - Options for grounding

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I need to install 4 cameras on a small cabin in the mountains.
The cabin doesn't have an attic, so I need to run the cables on the crawling space, up a wall and under the soffit until I reach the 2 corners where I want to install 2 cameras each.
I was planning to use PVC conduit and regular CAT6 cable that I have at hand, but I have been reading in several places where people recommend to only use shielded cable and properly ground the switch,etc.

Am I risking it too much if I go with regular CAT6 as originally planned or is this plainly stupid and I should only use STP cable and properly ground the switch?
I have never installed ethernet cables outdoor, on my house I have several runs but they are all on my attic and inside walls.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

R. Rod

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Opinion follows. I have about 3000' of unshielded wire running outside, and based on the cost of lightning protection vs. equipment replacement cost have chosen to take the risk. I have less than $100 in a used switch, and over 3 years have lost one camera and one magnetic driveway sensor to nearby lightning. I'm not in one of the heavy-lightning areas of the country, but it's not a lightning free area either. When I started out, it was all sub-$100 cameras. Now I've got a few ~$150 cameras so the risk has gone up. If I were to get a several hundred $ PTZ I'd likely be looking at protecting it.

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer @tigerwillow1
In my case it is not as much about the cost of the equipment than it is about doing this right the first time and be done with it.

I'm planning on installing 3-4 cameras only; so not a huge investment, but this is for our airbnb and I would really hate losing reservations/income because I need to re-do our security system.
This is a little cabin in the mountain and the zone is not precisely lightning free, so I'm concerned.

I was reading this:

Which gave me a few pointers.
I'm not sure if this would be enough, I haven't found a complete guide on how to do this.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.