Outside cable run for new install

sophie999

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have two questions.

1. Have several outside cameras, but need to add more. House is finished, and going thru the insulated attic for wiring is going to be painful. So, I decided to try Cat cable splitters to use the existing camera wiring for additional cameras, all POE. They are available on Amazon and several reviews state they work as intended for POE cameras.
My house is stucco. Would prefer not to make too many new holes. I will get the weather proof outdoor cat cable. Under the roof, I will use the brackets to attach the cable to the gutters. But I need some runs along the walls away from the gutters. So, I would like the following:
- Some sort of plastic conduit, just to fit the cable thru, flexible or rigid, not too big, just to fit the cable.
- Any means to attach the conduit securely to the vertical stucco wall without drilling holes.
Any ideas and reference to the materials for the above would be greatly appreciated

2. Any link to the good videos dealing with the design of the peripheral house surveillance. Before I put new cameras, I would like to make sure they are optimally located. I am clearly not a security expert, but interested in learning more of a concept.

Thanks very much

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To test locations for cameras you can use a 5 gallon bucket with a 2x4-8 in it filled with sand or gravel for stability. Attach the camera to the 2x4 and move it around to where you want to place cameras. Test each location in both day and night conditions by having someone walk around wearing a cap or hoodie. If you can identify them, it's a good place for a camera. Incidentally, using a varifocal for your test camera would also allow you to determine the right focal length for each location.

As far as outside cabling with no holes, I'd suggest some form of mastic to attach to the stucco. Paintable silicon seal might work. The problem with conduit is that it is designed to meet electrical code which means it is large to allow proper heat dissipation and room for more than one wire. That's true of even the surface mount, indoor rated, stuff. Using that outside would fail fairly quickly because it isn't UV or outdoor rated.

sophie999

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks.
I guess I did not mean conduit in that form. More appropriate term may be some sort of "shell" to at least partially protect the cable outside.