Outside Camera for Watching Construction

AndyChapel

n3wb
Reaction score
I am building a house in the mountains of NC and would like to install an ipcamera to oversee construction. There is harsh weather there. I will have power and am exploring cameras and options.

Would like minimal equipment that could continue to operate in cold or hot weather conditions. Live streaming and pan, zoom, tilt preferred. Does such a camera exist?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
What is your all-in budget?
Do you want to record or just view remotely?
Is internet available?
Do you plan to install a system down the road?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you will be surprised at the operating temperature range of my modern cameras. I just checked Dahua and most of their popular cameras have a -22 °F to +131 °F operating range. You can always get a outdoor enclosure that includes a heater if you think cold temps are going to be a problem. Of course these cameras are not waterproof. If fact the Dahua specs only go up to 95% humidity. So putting the camera somewhere out of the weather is going to be important, as is putting desiccant bags in the housing.

Long story short, I don't think you are going to have to do anything special to accomplish your goals vs what a normal installation looks like. Of course you will have some technical issues to work out - like power and internet - but those aren't monumental issues.

AndyChapel

n3wb
Reaction score
What is your all-in budget?
Do you want to record or just view remotely?
Is internet available?
Do you plan to install a system down the road?
Budget is not a concern. Live view and recording preferred.
Internet not available, power is available.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Budget is not a concern. Live view and recording preferred.
Internet not available, power is available.
If internet is not available, do you plan to be onsite to view the camera?