Overall Thoughts on Suspicious Truck

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This morning a guy in a Chevy Silverado truck and trailer came up my street going the speed limit. As he started driving by my house he was looking towards my property and then stopped his truck on the side of the street blocking my neighbors driveway. He got his cell phone out and took a picture of the front of my house. Then appeared to write down something for a few minutes and then drove off. The truck had a company name and phone number listed to a hauling company. Hence the trailer. My LPR captured the plate for the truck and trailer. I was able to find the company Facebook page but nothing more.

I suppose my lawn was just so amazing he had to take a picture but I doubt it. I setup an alert if the plate gets captured again but it was the first time the truck drove by my house.

I’m not really sure if there is anything I should do. I doubt the police would be able to offer much help. Anyone have a way to lookup who this guy is? What would you do next?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given it's a public street and anything on the outside of your house is also considered as public view, there's not much you can do other than what you've already done. Keeping a 12ga, loaded, and handy or the sidearm of your preference at the ready is always a good idea no matter what, especially the way things are going with crime no matter where your are.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We always tend to view the dark side of events like this. Ask yourself if there’s anything that might have been visible from where he stopped that might have interested him: maybe a unique color or trim scheme on your house, landscaping, or even a visible PTZ mounting scheme.

About a year ago, I had an alert from a camera at the north end of my property of an uninvited “guest..” The guy pulled into that driveway, exited his truck, walked into a portion of my backyard all while looking intently towards my house. Then he abruptly returned to his truck and left. (I was very pleased that my camera watching that area captured ID-quality images of his face and his license plate.) I was troubled by what he was doing, until I reviewed the video from about 350’ south of his location. That video revealed a bunch of smoke coming off my grill on our back deck, which I had just lit to burn off barbecue sauce residue from the previous night’s dinner, prior to grilling lunch. The mystery guy was actually a Good Samaritan who was concerned that our house might be on fire, and had taken the time to make sure everything was all right.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A good saying that's been around awhile (because it IS good): "Expect the best but prepare for the worse".

These days one has to have good situational awareness...things have changed and not necessarily for the worse...but the occasions that we must use sound judgement are increasing in number and frequency, IMO.

Reaction score
Even though it was a hauling company, they could do many different types of work. Maybe he saw something that he thought they could offer some service to you, like house painting, tree trimming, yard mulching, roof repair, etc. Yop might end up with a solicitation in the mail or someone knocking on your door.

Or maybe he noticed your cams and made a note of them so that when he or someone else comes down the street at night to do something they will avoid your house and cams.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or maybe he noticed your cams and made a note of them so that when he or someone else comes down the street at night to do something they will avoid your house and cams.
I had five teenagers violating curfew walk by my house several months ago. They all stopped while one of them was counting out loud the cameras as he pointed toward each one. He made it up to four before they continued on their walk. He missed three of them. Never seen them since. LOL

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I might be on that app LOL...28 cams in and around the condo. Knock on wood, the parking lot has been quiet in back this Summer.
Sometimes I think the tenants/ owners bring their past with them.
i.e. scumbag friends, druggies, opportunistic doorcheckers.
With the amount of turnover the last year, the clientele has changed a bit.
maybe for the better? who knows...

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
This morning a guy in a Chevy Silverado truck and trailer came up my street going the speed limit. As he started driving by my house he was looking towards my property and then stopped his truck on the side of the street blocking my neighbors driveway. He got his cell phone out and took a picture of the front of my house. Then appeared to write down something for a few minutes and then drove off. The truck had a company name and phone number listed to a hauling company. Hence the trailer. My LPR captured the plate for the truck and trailer. I was able to find the company Facebook page but nothing more.

I suppose my lawn was just so amazing he had to take a picture but I doubt it. I setup an alert if the plate gets captured again but it was the first time the truck drove by my house.

I’m not really sure if there is anything I should do. I doubt the police would be able to offer much help. Anyone have a way to lookup who this guy is? What would you do next?
A couple of days ago I saw a car coming down the street stopping at every mailbox and opening it. I thought they were trying to steal mail but it turned out they were putting business cards for auto repair in each mailbox; not a very smart idea in my mind but I was wrong about what these guys were up to.