Overlay on clips not correct?

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been using BIT for a while and I am really pleased with it. Lately I have made some changes to other software on the PC and I have noted that the weather overlays do not get saved together with the clips. Maybe they never were. The date and time are saved OK. It means that when I watch an old clip, then the time and date of the recording are shown all right but the temperature and humidity are those of the present. Imagine looking at a clip from last winter, then showing a summer temperature isn't really useful. I use UI3 all of the time on a remote computer.

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you recording direct to disk? If so, BI does not put the temp macro onto the file. Only camera originated macros are there.

Or do you mean if you are watching in BI?
Yes, I record direct to disk. So in fact, what I see is then a normal behavior because BI has no way of knowing what the overlay was at the time of recording? Strange thing is then that the time and date set by BI are shown OK?

I rarely watch in BI but use UI3 all of the time because I access the system over VPN from a remote site.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, I record direct to disk. So in fact, what I see is then a normal behavior because BI has no way of knowing what the overlay was at the time of recording? Strange thing is then that the time and date set by BI are shown OK?

I rarely watch in BI but use UI3 all of the time because I access the system over VPN from a remote site.
I dont use UI3, so im not sure on that, but if I look at old clips using the BI app, it shows the weather at the time of recording. I believe BI stores this data and can add it to the file if you export it, but its not automatically added (the original file is not altered using direct to disc)

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have done some more tests. When I use UI3, I get the wrong overlays, when looking at alert clips. However, when I look at the output directly from BI (via Remote Desktop), I get the overlay OK for live viewing but no overlays at all when looking at clips? Quite strange.

I am running the latest BI, BIT and Windows 10 versions with all updates on a fast PC. The only thing that I may be doing differently than some others, is that I run neile's artificial intelligence solution, which means that the alerts are triggered via the web server. (Btw, I can highly recommend it, it saves me from hundreds of false triggers).

If someone can spare a moment, it would be useful to know how other people's overlays work with alert clips.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have done some more tests. When I use UI3, I get the wrong overlays, when looking at alert clips. However, when I look at the output directly from BI (via Remote Desktop), I get the overlay OK for live viewing but no overlays at all when looking at clips? Quite strange.

I am running the latest BI, BIT and Windows 10 versions with all updates on a fast PC. The only thing that I may be doing differently than some others, is that I run neile's artificial intelligence solution, which means that the alerts are triggered via the web server. (Btw, I can highly recommend it, it saves me from hundreds of false triggers).

If someone can spare a moment, it would be useful to know how other people's overlays work with alert clips.
The only way an overlay other than time and date will work on a recording is if you disable direct to disk.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to 5.3.1.6 and have noticed the weather overlay showing up on my recordings even though they still show to be using direct to disc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to 5.3.1.6 and have noticed the weather overlay showing up on my recordings even though they still show to be using direct to disc.
You are seeing the current weather overlay not the recorded overlay.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, I thought the weather overlay only showed in live view, not when viewing clips, so I was wrong. However when I look at a clip from last night it shows the temperature at that time, not the current temperature.

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have looked a bit more into this and think I understand what was happening. In the newest BI manual it says:

"5.2.8 - May 20, 2020
Direct-to-disc BVR recording will now include metadata for video overlays (bitmaps and text), motion detection rectangles, as well as camera state flags (such as DIO input bits, motion sensing and triggered state).
When a BVR file containing these new metadata is opened in the viewer, you may right-click and select from menu options to toggle their display.
"

I thought that I had the latest update but it turned to be earlier than 5.2.8. I have now upgraded to an update from Sept. 1 and it works. Turns out that before May 20, BI did not keep the overlays, so when you were showing a clip on UI3, you would get the overlays valid at the time of showing the clip. If you showed it on BI itself, you would not get the overlay. Now, with the latest update, you get the right overlay both when using BI and UI3.

I believe that the last sentence in the above quote only pertains to the motion overlays (squares).

To make it working, you need to set the right switch in the CAMERA->WEBCAST window as shown below.

temp.jpg

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you, I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I can confirm as you say that right clicking on a recording that is playing gives me the choice to show my temperature overlay - or not, and it is the temperature at the time of the recording, not the current temperature.