Overlays - Camera vs BI

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there any advantage (performance or otherwise) to using BI to overlay the date/time vs having the camera do it? Also, does having the camera perform a date/time overlay cause BI to think motion has occurred every second because the time changes?

42etus

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI do the time/date overlays. I have 12 cameras and having BI do the overlays insures that the time stamps on all the cameras are the same all the time. At one time I did use the camera's overlay and that did cause BI to interpret the changing time to be motion.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have BI do the time/date overlays. I have 12 cameras and having BI do the overlays insures that the time stamps on all the cameras are the same all the time. At one time I did use the camera's overlay and that did cause BI to interpret the changing time to be motion.
Looks like if you have BI do the overlays you can't use direct-t-disc; From the documentation: "The down-side to using direct-to-disc is that you will not be able to add graphic and time overlays such as the time-stamp."

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
as pointed out direct to disk does not support overlays...it only allows you to add the time back on export if recorded to bvr...disabling direct to disk results in a significant cpu spike...as far matching all camera times, search this forum for the timesynctool....easy