'Overview' camera recommendation needed - wide angle + Color night vision

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I need to replace an Annke camera which is currently performing the role of an overview camera. It's a C800, so it's got a 2.8mm focal length and a 4K sensor. However, the sensor size itself is too small, so night footage is just awful. No matter what settings I try, passing cars and people are just a blurry mess at night.

Here's what I'm after:

• A 4K sensor (So I can still get useable detail when using digital zoom)
  • 2.8mm focal length (or 110+ degree horizontal FOV)
  • Ability to send scheduled web commands from BI to change the camera profile from day to night.
  • Built-in mic
  • Built in tripwire function

My other cameras are Dahuas (IPC-T5442TM-AS) and I can't fault them for night vision in IR mode, although the ambient light is still too dark to get any usable color night vision out of them. Is there anything that performs better than these?

I know that you can get models which have a built-in white LED that stays on all night. I'm willing to consider those models, although I'd like to avoid them if possible, because the neighbors across the road might complain.

Any ideas?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4K-X pops into mind. It's got a dual sensor setup, color and and infrared sensor, and will "stitch" the two images together to provide color in extremely low light situations. It does have a relatively shallow focal point, but is a 2.8 or 3.6mm which might apply for you.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 4K-X pops into mind. It's got a dual sensor setup, color and and infrared sensor, and will "stitch" the two images together to provide color in extremely low light situations.
So it combines both the color and infrared sensor into one image? The sample videos in the threads you've linked to look pretty great when taking stills, but as soon as any motion happens, it looks horrible IMO. It's a little disappointing from a camera that's supposed to be the bee's knees. Especially in the review video where the street was practically flooded with light. I mean, if you can't make out any identifiable details on someone's face as they're walking (not staying still), then what's the point?

Are there any other examples/review I can check out?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Color4K-X is not a dual sensor model. It just has one relatively large 4K sensor.

The dual sensor that recently came out is 4 megapixels. Here is Wildcat's review:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you want a wide angle overview or the ability to make out faces at 60 feet? One camera cannot do both, especially at night.

An overview is just that - an overview to observe but not recognize or identify. The same law of physics as it relates to focal length still applies. Much beyond 10 feet for a 2.8mm at night will not IDENTIFY....

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you want a wide angle overview or the ability to make out faces at 60 feet? One camera cannot do both, especially at night.
That's a good point actually, thanks for reminding me. I do have other cameras that give excellent IR night vision for closer approaches that can easily recognize faces.

I suppose for overview purposes, it doesn't get any better than the Color4K-X right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a good point actually, thanks for reminding me. I do have other cameras that give excellent IR night vision for closer approaches that can easily recognize faces.

I suppose for overview purposes, it doesn't get any better than the Color4K-X right?
Yes, it makes a great overview camera because it let's so much light in. You will be able to observe much further than you can now.

You will be able to run a much faster shutter than the 5442 and keep it in color. And if it isn't installed crazy high, it can serve to IDENTIFY when objects are within 10-15 feet at night as well.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will be able to run a much faster shutter than the 5442 and keep it in color. And if it isn't installed crazy high, it can serve to IDENTIFY when objects are within 10-15 feet at night as well.
That being said, I really like the way that the IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 combines the best of both worlds with the dual lens system.
Which of the two would you recommend for a low light front yard, where the nearest street light is 150 feet away? I'll be installing it about 12 feet high.

I'm thinking that the Color4K-X might not produce useable pictures in the darkest places, whereas the 5449T1 will fill those dark spots in with IR. Additionally, I also have sensor-activated porch lights along the front of my house, so I'm guessing the 5449T1 will perform beautifully without any annoying delay between switching from IR to color, like most other cameras have. Right?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think either one would work very well in that situation. I have both cameras and the dual lens really does a great job of utilizing the dual lens technology to brighten up the image. It is fairly comparable to the 4K/X in that regard.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great to hear.

I just finished reading the entire thread on the dual lens camera. I understand that it requires a bit more patience to dial in the appropriate settings, but the lens alignment still worries me. Is this still a problem? It looked pretty bad at certain distances in some of those sample videos.

Also, is it available in 2.8 mm yet?

Reaction score
For what it's worth even though it's not precisely what you asked about, I am pretty happy with my: DH-IPC-PFW8802-A180. Not certain if there is a current equivalent.

It's 4x2MP instead of 4K (or 4MP), and it has tripwire. IDK if that translates into better ppf at the distance you'd be interested in.

For full motion color at night requires a ton of light (I had 2x200w equiv and it wasn't enough) so I run it in B&W with 120w equiv (2x60w) total,

I can make out the car types pretty much, and other aspects of the vehicle even beyond recognize range, but still very little chance to identify someone on the sidewalk, although but it is usually good enough to get someone to out them on Facebook. One added benefit is people SEE this camera, it's enormous.

DetectObserveRecognizeIdentify
53m(178ft)21m(69ft)10m(33ft)5m(17ft)

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For full motion color at night requires a ton of light (I had 2x200w equiv and it wasn't enough) so I run it in B&W with 120w equiv (2x60w) total,
Yeah I don't think that's gonna cut it then.

I might just wait for Andy's next sale in March and get the 4KColor-X. :-\

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Due to various other more important matters, I never got around to purchasing a new overview camera.

Since it's been a few months now, is the 4KColor-X still the king of the hill?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
180 Degree overview.

Thanks for the recommendation - although my C800 is a Hikvision rebrand (Annke) and I'm not impressed with it at all. It can only output H265, and for some reason, it's constantly jittery no matter how much I fiddle with the settings. It has nowhere near the granularity of exposure/shutter control I have with my Dahua cameras. I'm thinking this will be the same?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your C800 can only output H.265? That is weird, it claims support for H.264. I haven't ever seen a camera that can do H.265 but not H.264.

Unstable frame rate could certainly be the camera's fault but I think it more likely caused by a performance problem on the viewing device.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your C800 can only output H.265? That is weird, it claims support for H.264. I haven't ever seen a camera that can do H.265 but not H.264.

Unstable frame rate could certainly be the camera's fault but I think it more likely caused by a performance problem on the viewing device.
We know from his other threads that his system has performance issues...and adding an 8MP to the mix won't help if the issue still persists...

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Trust me, all I see is H265. I even emailed Annke themselves and they confirmed it.

It's not just the frame rate, it's the meager controls for the exposure/shutter speed. Also it doesn't have day/night profiles like my Dahua cameras. Does the Hikvision have these?

It's not the viewing device. All my other Dahua cameras run beautifully (even when viewed simultaneously in the web viewer and in BI). My CPU stays at around 12% most of the time too.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We know from his other threads that his system has performance issues...and adding an 8MP to the mix won't help if the issue still persists...

This has been fixed since I added a 6TB WD Purple. CPU hovers around 12-15% most of the time now, and disk usage never peaks above 4%.